• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New VM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
to be used or to not be used?

will you be using it or just letting it run?

also is it gonna have gpu2 clients running?

those to me are some important factors IMO...

All mine are used in one way or another, this one will have either a 9800gx2 or 295 installed in it.

In that case I think I would have to go with win 7. But then again maybe it's just me. I really like it and I have only tried out the 32bit still waiting for an i reason to try the 64 disc.

I have had no problems with 2xvmplayer on my xp system and being about to see it all on my win 7 system. using hfm

Last edited:
In that case I think I would have to go with win 7. But then again maybe it's just me. I really like it and I have only tried out the 32bit still waiting for an i reason to try the 64 disc.

I have had no problems with 2xvmplayer on my xp system and being about to see it all on my win 7 system. using hfm

Well both mine are running Win7-64bit and have tried everything to get the second to share and be able to see it with hfm no go. So want to install this one so someone can help me that has same setup.

don't have 64 installed on either and I posted a ss of my hfm dayam I resized it to.

I want to install the 64 on my q9450 but trying to hold ATM...

have you set-up a home network?

don't used the default workgroup mshome or whatever it is.

be sure and reboot both after the network is set-up.

I am going to wait for someone to post recommendation before I begin. Mobo arrives today, cpu here, will have to run a 4gb set of ram until 6gb set arrives tomorrow I hope. Or I could run 4gb set and I have 2x 1gb sticks of a older set I could add if folks think that would work. Next question is to either run 2x 74g Raptors in Raid 0 or run a single 300G VelociRaptor partitioned?

velociraptor IMHO

don't want to change hardware problems :D

My recommendation would be use the same OS for all systems and be sure and set up the networks all the same and sharing as well.

velociraptor IMHO

don't want to change hardware problems :D

My recommendation would be use the same OS for all systems and be sure and set up the networks all the same and sharing as well.

The sharing part is the problem, I am not really up on Network security. I just install and let it do it's thing. Win 7 has this Homegroup thing that I installed on both that may very well be the problem. I can open folders and see a pic of a lock on them that Homegroup has there and I can not change settings.

Attachments

• Lock.jpg
    Lock.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 98
humm I'm not sure as to what you just said :D

if you right click on network then properties what does it show under view your active network...

humm I'm not sure as to what you just said :D

if you right click on network then properties what does it show under view your active network...

You mean this?

Attachments

• net2.jpg
    net2.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 89
yea this it what mine looks like

but this is on my pc without vm's so this may differ.

Attachments

• desktop.gif
    desktop.gif
    106.8 KB · Views: 93
also it says no network access on your vm's undefined network dunno about this 4 real

yea this it what mine looks like

but this is on my pc without vm's so this may differ.

Ok but what does that tell us, if anything. That pic of mine is the rig that will not let me monitor VM.

seeing as yours is a home network and mine is a work network maybe that could be one thing also what about a screenie of

Advanced sharing settings

seeing as yours is a home network and mine is a work network maybe that could be one thing also what about a screenie of

Advanced sharing settings

Attachments

• net3.jpg
    net3.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 78
I can open folders and see a pic of a lock on them that Homegroup has there and I can not change settings.

What you want to do to access those locked folders in W7 is this........

Right click the locked folder and choose properties. Then click on the Security tab. Then towards the bottom click on Advanced. You should see a window like this:

You should see an entry that says "Deny" Click on that and then click Change Permissions. Then click remove and you should be all set to start sharing. I think that's why you can't see or access certain folders that others can. Also make sure you unhide protected os files in your folder options.

This is what I get when I try to allow sharing on this folder.

Attachments

• net4.jpg
    net4.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 76
It looks like you clicked on the Edit tab, a little further down click on the Advanced tab where it says "For special permissions or advanced settings" then you should see the page I pictured above.

It looks like you clicked on the Edit tab, a little further down click on the Advanced tab where it says "For special permissions or advanced settings" then you should see the page I pictured above.

Error there too.

Attachments

• net5.jpg
    net5.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 77
You should see this:
sec1.png

click the circled button.

Then you should see this:
sec2.png

And again, you should click the circled button. Then click on the entry that says deny and highlight it and then click on the edit button again (it should be the center of 3 buttons).

sec3.png

Does that work?

Back