• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New water colling idea?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IdreamofDSl

New water coolling idea?

Just thinking about a better way to watercool. What if you constantly have fresh water running thru the waterblock?

I figure I can use 3/8 tubing, two pipe tap valves, a thermostat, a water solenoid valve and a pressure regulator.

Find a hot and cold pipe, tap into them, run the hot and cold lines into a mixing valve or just a tee (adjusting hot and cold to make water not too cool so no condensation forms) to a regulator, from the regulator to solenoid valve into a waterblock. Water flows thru and out to a drain.
The solenoid valve will run off the thermostat only letting water flow when needed. I could swing this because there is a drain in my basement and my computer is on the first floor so I could just do all the plumbing up thru the basement ceiling.
It would be much neater to have just a waterblock and two tubes.
I'LL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT WORKS OUT!

Last edited:
Well only tap into the cold pipe. That water isnt near cold enough to cause condensation when running through a WC system. No need to use any hot water.

Josh

Istari1 said:
Well only tap into the cold pipe. That water isnt near cold enough to cause condensation when running through a WC system. No need to use any hot water.

Josh

That depends on where you live; ground water temp, humidity, ambient temp, etc. Many people could easily get condensation depending on their conditions.

I'll have to hook it up and let it run thru the water block outside the system an see what happens with the cold only, I know if I let my faucet run for a bit condensation forms on that.

Aesik said:

That depends on where you live; ground water temp, humidity, ambient temp, etc. Many people could easily get condensation depending on their conditions.

Guess thats possible, I was only thinking of here where I live, but I guess even in the winter you might get cold enough water. What would be really trick is a thermostat that regulated the water temp. . . so it would adjust the hot/cold ratio to keep it just above a certain point. . .hmmm.

Josh

res0r9lm said:
that would make for a hefty water bill
I agree, why dont you turn a faucet on and let it run for a month to see what kind of bill you would get if you actually did this ;)

I have well water and its filtered already, was planning on a inline filter anyways. As far as water usage it would'nt run all the time. As soon as the thermostat made a connection it would open the solenoid valve and let water flow until the t-stat cycled off again .
To even use less water the pressure regulator would be at 5-10psi vs. 50-60 psi incoming pressure. Now the only thing I could really use is a sold state thermostat that works on a thermister or thermocouple, I think it would be more responsive than a mercury or oil filled bulb thermostat.

IdreamofDSl said:
I have well water and its filtered already, was planning on a inline filter anyways. As far as water usage it would'nt run all the time. As soon as the thermostat made a connection it would open the solenoid valve and let water flow until the t-stat cycled off again .
To even use less water the pressure regulator would be at 5-10psi vs. 50-60 psi incoming pressure. Now the only thing I could really use is a sold state thermostat that works on a thermister or thermocouple, I think it would be more responsive than a mercury or oil filled bulb thermostat.
I think you might want to reconsider doing that. your well would run dry and it gets pretty expensive to get a well drilled plus your cpu would be fried to boot

yes haveing a well run dry is a major pain in the butt

if your in such a mood to use a lot of water

i would just get a big old 20-30 gallon trashcan

put a input at the top and out put at the bottom and use that as your res.

there is no way you could heat that much water before the heat could be disapated threw the walls of the container

if things start to over heat then just throw in some ice cubes to "reset" it back to its orgonal temp

I think most here have already covered any worries that you may run into. However there is one that Ive read of before that I honestly didnt think about till I did read it.

How will you be using the water? hmm... How can I say this?....

Ok, well as they put it in that thread, isnt that a waste of water? Your pumping water out, thats going down the drain.... Some say that this is a serious waste and well blah blah blah... But I understand their point... are you going to run it back into the well? That might be an option since your not really "using" it... No waste, and wouldnt really have to worry about draining your well.

Of course I would look into what the rest have said... but maybe in addition to what they've said,, you could do this, no waste.. :D

Just using electricity to do it!~! :D

Lucks!~!

IFMU

Water cooled refrigeration units work on the same principal and don't use that much water, and dude, it 's highly unlikely for my well to run dry.
Besides I'm not talking about 1/2 tubing flowing gallons a minute. I'm talking 1/4 tubing with water pressure at like 5psi and the machine is not always on. I would'nt realy need a lot of flow considering the water is already nice and chilly.

GIVE IT UP DAN!!!!! Just kidding. Myself and Idreamofdsl work together so I know it will work. Most ice machines that are water cooled work off the same principle. It will work and yes its a big waste of water.

well a varation of my idea would be to take ( i think some one has already done this) the supper huge container your useing for your res.

burry it about 10 15 feet deep and use it at a geothermal cooling

anctually now i rember some guy did this with a huge barrel looking thing and then he just had a pump pump it from the computer to the barrel and back again.

oh yea

wtf:pita?

Last edited:
crash893 said:
well a varation of my idea would be to take ( i think some one has already done this) the supper huge container your useing for your res.

burry it about 10 15 feet deep and use it at a geothermal cooling

anctually now i rember some guy did this with a huge barrel looking thing and then he just had a pump pump it from the computer to the barrel and back again.

I was just going to post a link to this project called The Stealth Project . the guy that made it was later asked by one of the big guys ( I think the CEO) of Nvidia on how to do it and received some cards and sweat shirts for sending him the plans of this system. IdreamofDSL you should read it.

Last edited:
Back