• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New WD2500 and some questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SniperXX

Ok well my IBM drive just bit the dust the otherday so today I picked up a new WD2500 (250GB and 8MB Buffer). I am using it as just a single drive and no seconday drive. Well my windows cd is the 1st one meaning it doesnt have the service pack 1 on it. So to use the drive I had to format to 137GB to install windows xp becuase only SP1 allows bigger drives. Then I do a NTFS format (not the quick one) and then install windows xp pro. Then I got SP1 installed and now I am stuck. I ran the Data Lifeguard program on the cd and it said it will do a registry change to enable big HDs and them it reboots. So how can I use the drive @ 250GB? Sorry if this post doesnt seem to make perfect sense but I am pretty tired, lol. Thanks. :)

hafa

You may need to enable 48-bit support; try this:

1. Start a registry editor (e.g., regedit.exe).
2. Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters registry subkey.
3. From the Edit menu, select New, DWORD Value.
4. Enter the name EnableBigLba, then press Enter.
5. Double-click the new value, set it to 1, then click OK.
6. Reboot the machine for the changes to take effect.

If this fails, it may be a partition issue. Powerquest Partition Magic should be able to solve it.

OP
SniperXX

SniperXX

Thanks the WD program seems to have made that registry fix for me. Now to look for my partition magic cd... I have one around here somewhere. Thanks for the help, I was really confused with this drive.

OP
SniperXX

SniperXX

Ok, i got it working. I used Partition Magic 8 and formatted the other 100~GB. Then I merged the partitions and now I got the HD as 1 big drive. Thanks for the help hafa, I totally forgot about PM8. :D