• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Work Computer - Choice of 3 Processors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LilBuddy

I can order a new work computer and I have the choice of these three processors:

Q9550
E8400
i7 860

They are all about the same price so which would be better. I really just use Excel a lot and need what would work the best with huge Excel files.

all 3 will be fine for excel, but the i7 will probably be better off if you are going to be using multiple applications on top of that.. imo its a better multitasker than the amd and older socket intel

No reason not to go newer if its a whole new system. Its really a no-brainer i7 860

If its just for one pc, then the i7 if this is for a fleet of computers the e8400 is gonna be cheaper.

i agree with everyone else...might as well just go for the i7. excel isn't really going to use all the processing power but might as well have the most modern setup if you can.

It's crazy looking at Dell's prices. On the system that uses 775 the standard is a Celeron and you can get the E8400 for $300 more or the Q9550 for $500 more. Seriously $500 for a chip that Microcenter is selling for $165?

Since they're all the same price, jump into an i7 anyway. No reason to buy the older socket on DDR2 memory when for little difference in price you can get top end stuff and keep it for longer.

Back