• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New X99 build and can't decide on motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've seen only ASUS RVE and Deluxe, MSI Gaming 7 and S SLI and EVGA Classified. Only previews of Gigabyte boards so far. I don't even have any info if they will be soon in stores in EU. Only MSI and ASUS on stock.
I expect that Gigabyte will be similar to Z97 series so not bad memory overclocking, weird BIOS but without bigger problems and all in reasonable prices. We have to wait couple of days but I bet that GB Gaming will be good option.
Today I also got info that Biostar won't release any X99 motherboard. Not like I wish to buy one but they have sometimes interesting boards with quite good OC potential.

Last edited:
I already have them listed at my local distributor with prices. Some are available but with prices so high for some of them I doubt they will be popular. I mean RVE will be popular but competition has similar options for other boards in lower prices.
I've picked MSI X99S SLI Plus just because it was the cheapest available board and I already saw overclocking results. Board seem quite good and it cost 1/2 of RVE price. ASUS X99 Deluxe is not much cheaper than RVE while even cheapest ASUS board still cost ~$80 more than my MSI.
If you are thinking about overclocking then with ASUS it's generally like you go for ROG or better look at Gigabyte or ASRock options.

Last edited:
Yeah it just depends on how many Bells and Whistles you want on a motherboard, but i agree still to high in price yet, you need to wait for things to stabilize first and more reviews to come out.

AJ.

I hope they fix memory compatibility problems with 3000 and higher kits. New BIOS is helping but it's not perfect. I already saw reviews of MSI Gaming board where were mentioned the same memory issues as I have on MSI X99S SLI Plus. Actually these two series are almost the same if you look at design, BIOS and OC features and in latest BIOS release both were mentioned with the same BIOS fixes.

I'm not a MSI fan but so far X99 isn't bad and almost all is working like it should with maybe that little exception of higher memory clocks.

a Week :O thats way to long :p hurry up!

like im between that one and the asus rampage v

I wouldn't even think in this case and get ASUS RVE :p ... I just had limited budget and ASUS cost 2x more than MSI that I got. In Poland it was about ~$220 difference.

What looks good gives you 2 week happiness till you get bored of looking at it. What works good and gives better chances on upgrade later will make you happy for longer, especially when you are overclocking ;)
This is not a platform that you buy for a 3 months. Also think that ASUS ROG boards have better BIOS support. I'm not saying that this MSI is bad. It's just different class of motherboard. If you are not overclocking then you can also take something cheaper and save money on gfx card or something else ( new nvidia soon :p ).

You could go with this as it will do most everything! ;)

1, ASUS X99-S ATX Mobo.

Would have to search around in the USA. :shrug:

AJ.

Last edited:
The new Asus X99 Deluxe BIOS fixed some problems. Now I can run my 5960X at 4.0, memory is at 2666, LLC and offset work (so no vcore jumps to 1.36) and I can keep <60C @ 1300rpm under normal (heavy) use. All things that are great for a noob like me :D
A friend of mine is still struggling with his Gigabyte mobo.

Don't wanna sound like a fanboy, but Asus motheboards haven't disappointed me yet.

im not sure getting into x99 now is worth it, thinking about returning my 5960x, every board having issues :S

like i just stared reading about most boards since i wanted to buy one today, and holy sh*t problems+problems+problems

i just dont know if i want to mix my entire build problem with hardware problems...

maybe i should just finish my build, test it with known x79 hardware then move on

Last edited:
Most boards have no issues except mentioned memory clock above 3000. The same was with X79 but then problems were above 2400 and at least on ROG boards it was fixed really quick. Right now all high memory clock results are on the RVE that's why I'm telling you that if price difference is only $70 then best is to get RVE which will have the best BIOS support.
CPU overclocking results on air/water are about the same on every X99 mobo.

Looking at what is availible the RVE and the SOC. Both look to to be on another tier, the MSI gaming board you could argue is not in the conversation

Once the MSI xPower is released we will see if MSI enters the conversation

If you are going to compare gaming boards look at it's direct competition

G1, , MSI Gaming and the Killer

They all could be in the same debate

im not sure getting into x99 now is worth it, thinking about returning my 5960x, every board having issues :S

like i just stared reading about most boards since i wanted to buy one today, and holy sh*t problems+problems+problems

i just dont know if i want to mix my entire build problem with hardware problems...

maybe i should just finish my build, test it with known x79 hardware then move on
Welcome to a new platform SMiguel... there are always problems to iron out. ALWAYS.

That's why its always best to wait a few months, so they can iron out the bugs! :thup:

As shown buy the thread Raja is running elsewhere. ;)

P.S. Cheap R&D!

AJ.

It will be fired up tonight. The ram landed today, and the CPU block should also land today as well. I should have baseline (stock) testing done and some overclocking tonight as well so I can report back how it feels out of the gate for you at least.

Back