• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New XFX5770 low Vantage scores...i think

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ekoh

Well, Just got my new XFX 5770 Juniper XT 1 gig ddr5 blah blah etc etc, and i am wondering if my scores seem kind of low, or about right for my setup.

I got a 8700 P score on 3dmark Vantage. IT seems like all over the net people are pulling 10 to 12k on vantage.

I could try OCing my CPU a bit to see if that is creating a bottle neck. I just expected more out of this card.

Any ideas , input or suggestions?

Build in sig

3DMark Score
P8777 3DMarks
CPU Score
Graphics Score

OP
ekoh

ekoh

I also want to add, it seems as if i can't OC this card worth a squirrel fart. Anything beyond the 850/1200 stock i get artifacts. I really think its my dated 770chipset board with 710SB on it as i hit a wall VERY soon when OCing my cpu (@ like 3.4) .. Maybe i have a long weekend of voltage tweeking ahead of me to get the best out of this card and cpu together... at this point im at a wall and unsure what to do.

Someone anyone help!

DocLiv

I think your score is just right. Here's my score with my card @960/1400. http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=1760583 I'd only go by the graphics score. If somebody has 12k with a single 5770 the must have an nvidia gpu in there boosting their Physx score.

As far as it not overclocking well you might want to check the heatsink. What do your temps look like? I've heard of some people having way too much thermal paste between the hsf and gpu.

720x770

The RAM itself cannot cause the artifacts because it error corrects. When slightly OC'ing above what your card can handle you should see a small performance drop rather than artifacts. You should only see artifacts when the setting is set so high that it is causing the RAM to overheat.

For example some people's RAM can only handle 1350 and they bump it to 1400 with no artifacts, but could in fact be getting less performance than 1350 would have given. Most people can get at least 940 core and 1300 ram from what I've seen. It's harder to OC the ram than the core, especially since half of the RAM chips are on the back (although a well designed case with a good fan setup can help, but they also make heatsinks for the RAM). There are a lot of different variances of how high people can go, but every 5770 should at least overclock to some extent.

Try leaving the memory alone and bump the core to 960, run furmark and keep your eye on the temps. The GPU's are rated at 100c max (125c before irreparable damage i think). Although if it goes over 80c I'd see that as unacceptable because they are very low wattage. If you're going to be running SLI you're going to want to keep the temps low to keep your case cool. Heat rises, and it will be sitting right below your NB and CPU.

On stock cooler, I could easily go above the CCC limits for core to 1000mhz or more with a small voltage bump. I'm already at 960 limit at 53c on load which gives me plenty of room left for OC'ing even further. Besides, Core speed matters more than RAM speed in most cases.

If all else fails and temps are good, you might need to up the voltage slightly to OC at all, but be prepared to monitor load temps again.

Keep in mind that you might have trouble fitting two of them into an SLI.

terran2k

i have an XFX 5770 as well, i had alot of problems OC'in with the Cat 9.12 drivers. it would crash on me alot. I am using the Cat 9.11 and they are better.

while we're on the topic, whats a good product to bench my video card with? free would be preferred

Last edited:

720x770

i have an XFX 5770 as well, i had alot of problems OC'in with the Cat 9.12 drivers. it would crash on me alot. I am using the Cat 9.11 and they are better.

while we're on the topic, whats a good product to bench my video card with? free would be preferred

sounds like it might be something to do with XFX then. of all the brands I researched before buying, Sapphire was the one with the best reviews. Although, if I remember correctly AMD manufactures everything and the brands just slap their own labels on them or change the reference cooler or factory OC it. The 9.12 drivers do need some work.

Furmark is a good benchmarking tool, it's old but can still entirely stress your GPU. There's a trial of 3Dmark as well. Finding programs like that are as easy as googling 'gpu benchmark'.

psionic98

i have an asus 5770 and dont have any issues oc'd and overvolted running at 1000/1375 @1.2v

no artifacts or pixel errors so far..temps have never went above 70c.. well maybe 73c.. either way.. this is with the 2nd version of heatsink (teardrop shape)

i will probably get some ram sinks soon for the back side of the card, but overall very impressed.. i get a high 19k 3dmark06 on this setup