• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newb needs bios update help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steamerjohn

Newb needs bios update help on p4c800 e dlx

I thought I did my homework but I guess my not knowing dos has got me stuck. I just put together this system shown in my sig, but after numerous failures at trying to load XP pro (brand new & legal) using raid 0, I keep getting a msg that setup has shut down for major problems (something like that) and suggests I update my bios. My version is 1009 and I was going to install 1014.
On the Asus site it says not to use the EZflash and the other method using AFUDOS has got me lost. I'm stuck on making a "bootable disk". Not sure what that is. Is it startup disk? Anyway The first step says to insert a floppy & at the dos command type "format A:/S" How do I get to the dos command.? Can I do this on the new machine with no os installed, or can I do it on my win98 pc?
I've put together a few basic machines with good success but this is my first shot at OCing, raid and Win XP.

Any help appreciated........John

Last edited:
I can't help you but am going through the same process. Same MB and I made a boot disk downloaded the latest bios which included the afudos program. I was able execute the process by typing at the a prompt afudos /ip4ced14.rom and some stuff happened but I still have a bios of 080009. I hope someone can help us. Steve
System
P4C800-E
p4 3.0c
2x512 mushkin 3500 blk level II
XP home for now

SRB442 said:
bios of 080009.

.......if you go into your bios, under system info its listed as AMIBIOS I.D.. with the current bios date. I believe thats the AMI BIOS I.D and not the bios rev. number........I got confused on that too...........

Thanks for the tip Thumper. I was able to slow down the boot screen enough to see the bios which reads 1014 on the bootscreen. SiSandra still reads that 080009 number under bios so that is confusing. Steve

I didn't know how to slow down the boot so I photographed it so I could see the bios rev.
My problem is I don't know what a bootable disk is or how to make one. This is where I'm stuck.

Attachments

• bios2.jpg
    bios2.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 94
Steamerjohn said:
I didn't know how to slow down the boot so I photographed it so I could see the bios rev.
My problem is I don't know what a bootable disk is or how to make one. This is where I'm stuck.

.......try bios 1011 - you can use EZFlash and it works. Many do not see any performance increase, and some report problems now with the 1014 bios.........

Yikes! I just succeded at flashing up to 1014. I finally found out how to make a bootable disk. Didn't know it was like a start up disk but having the command exe file only, and not the cd drivers and other stuff. Simple I guess but when ya don't know it you're stuck. I made the bootable disk and then put on it the afudos exe and the bios update file both which I downloaded from Asus and didn't mess with the mobo support cd. Ran the disk like the book directions said and presto, 1014 installed.
Thumper, now you mention 1011 might be better. Hmmm, now that 1014 is in there I think I might as well give it a try. I'll try loading xp in raid 0 again. and see how it goes.

Thanks guys for your help. I'm sure I'll be back at my next stumbling block.
John

Back