• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbee Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dollar

I just build a new system and have a couple of questions before I start overclocking.

The system:
P4C800-E Deluxe
P4 3.0E
1 GB OCZ 3500EB
ATI 8600 Pro
Enermax 480w PS
Lian Li P60 case - 4 fans
Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu cpu cooler

Question 1 - I installed both Asus Probe and MBM5. According to these monitors my PS fan and case fan occasionally stop running. Of course, this is not the case as I can see the fans running. Also, on occasion, the CPU temp also jumps way high - its read as high as 90C. I immediately rebooted the system and checked the temp in the bios - temp read 58. I've check all the connections. Anyone know what's going on or anything to try?

Question 2 - CPU temps usually read in the low to mid 53-55 at idle and 63-66 when maxing the CPU. Are these temps ok? How far can I safely push the CPU temp when OCing?

thanks in advance
$

Your temps are a bit high, try Asus probe and see if they are the same.

Get some silver compound if you dont already have some and lap the CPU cooler. Every bit helps.

I have a P4 2.8c P4P800 and my CPU idle temp is 27C

WELCOME TO TEH FORUMS! :D

Don't run both monitors - they conflict and produce bogus temps. ;)

I'm no P4 guy so I'm not sure about those temps, I wouldn't bump voltage up with those temps though. What are your case temps like? I assume with 4 fans they are acceptable though.

it's wrong to write diode reading without mentioning the environment tempreture.
i have the same board as you, different CPU though. both MBM and probe when ran seperately show the same results. On original intel cooler i got +4C on idle and +25C on load relative to env.tempreture. I assume your room temp is not 40C, so the tepreture is a bit high. What cooler do you use, what thermo-interface (pad, grease, paste ... ). Did you install the cooler right? what are the readings of the second diode?
about the occasional jumps of temp and fan meter. i've the same issue with fan, but never had it with temp. obviously, that those jumps do not represent any real situation.

Last edited:
edit: nevermind, i got the answer from the other thread...

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions

Did I install the cpu cooler correctly? - I think so, but since this is the first one I've done, not completely sure. I used the paste that came with the Zalman, no lapping. Followed Zalman's instuctions - thin, even coat of paste covering the bottom of the Zalman. Will Artic paste make enought of a difference to warrant making the change?

Room temp also varies, 20 - 30C. MB temps in the low to mid 30s.

Both Asus Probe and MBM 5 give approx. the same readings. Can they both be installed but not running at the same time? or will the installation of one interfere with the other?

thanks
$

i have them both installed and have no any problems with monitoring. only MBM runs all the time monitoring the readings. i don't use the probe, since MBM shows it all and logs it and i'm used to it. (pitty, its development ceased ...)

before we continue. i forgot to ask about the bios version you are using. what version is it?

Last edited:
Bios is v1016

Double checked the mb temp (now that I'm home) - its actually 35-39C

dollar,
same version as me. 35-39 refers to idle or load?
If load, than it's not bad at all. if idle, it's a bit high. As a reference you may use original intel cooler giving +4c idle and +25c when loaded, as i mentioned before.

i don't really know if all the diode in same series of boards are "calibrated" the same way. May be the diode in your mobo has a bias relative to mine. I know for sure that my diode shows to low value. Now that i'm with WC in idle i get -2C which is impossible. Anyhow, if you have apossibility to remount the cpu-cooler -- try it. and post temreture difference between idle and load. so we will try to neutraliza the bias if such exists.

Applied the Artic 5 paste yesterday. No immediate changes in temp, although Artic says give the paste 200 hours to reach its maximum cooling benefit.

thanks
Glenn

Back