• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie alert: What do I need to cool 1.33/266 AMD system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kal123

Registered
I'm ready to build an AMD 1.33/266FSB system, using an Asus A7m266 mobo, 512MB DDR, ATI Radeon 64MB, and an IBM Deskstar 75GB.

What kind of power and cooling would you recommend? 300W I assume for power, but there as *so* many cooling options my head is spinning! I intend to overclock it, but not to ridiculous speeds. Please help...

TIA!

I recommend either the Alpha PAL 6035, Vantec FCE-62540D or ThermoEngine. I've tested the 1.33 with those heat sinks and a Delta fan. A lower rated fan may be sufficient but I can't guarantee it.

Read some of the reviews on the mainpage and folow some of the threads here, that should give you an idea. A decent comparison of heatsinks can also be found at www.2cooltek.com , at www.anandtech.com , and at www. tomshardware.com all of them with slightly different results and also goals, but overall I think you may be able to form an opinion.

Before WCing my system I personally was using a Globalwin WBK38 which I modified with an 80mm case fan for less noise. Nice heatsink at a moderate price.

Yo

Reading the reviews and test comparisons is a great idea but pay attention to the chip and speed they used in the test.

Thanks guys. Can you give me an exact set of products to purchase, e.g., Brand X heatsink, Brand Y fan? The reviews go on endlessly and nobody can seem to come to agreement (like most things technical ;-)

Thanks again!

kal123 (Apr 26, 2001 12:39 p.m.):
Thanks guys. Can you give me an exact set of products to purchase, e.g., Brand X heatsink, Brand Y fan? The reviews go on endlessly and nobody can seem to come to agreement (like most things technical ;-)

Thanks again!

As I stated above, I have tested the 1.33/266 overclocked to 1.5+ with an Alpha PAL6035, Vantec FCE-62540D and Thermosonic ThermoEngine all with the Delta 38CFM 60mm fan and an ambient temperature of 21C. They all met my personal threshold of no more than 50C under load. With summer coming and ambient temperatures going up you will need good CPU cooling.

Consider the Swiftech MC-462A. It comes with the most well suited fan already. It is not cheap, but it is unsurpassed by any air cooled HSF that is currently available. Like the 6035, it will handle 1500+ CPUs. Unlike the 6035, it will keep that 1500+ CPU under 40C. You get what you pay for. If you buy one, definitely get the rheostat speed control. You can turn the MC-462A down to where it is no louder than your case fans for most of the time. I turn mine up when doing intense 3D gaming, Engineering Modeling and when running stress tests like 3D Mark, Prime95, Folding at Home, etc. An unsung bonus is the mounting method. It is absolutely "bullet proof". No more worrying about crushed cores or broken clip tangs, even in a tight mid-tower.

Hoot

Back