• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie ALERT!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trendx

Today on newegg.com i just bought my Albatron Ti4200P Turbo. Im not a complete newbie, but i just want to make sure i do things right after spending around $200 on this card! So please help me answer a few questions of feel free to give me a few tips...

Do i download my drivers from the official albatron site or the official nvidia site?

Where do i go to overclock this card, what program, how far to push it with stock cooling? I would like to keep it safe and running a long time, i dont wanna push it too far and risk anything.

Any other things i should know?

Maxvla

drivers you should hang around here to get the scoop on the best drivers. usually we get our drivers from www.guru3d.com unless they are official nvidia releases we'll get them from www.nvidia.com

you need a tweaking program such as Geforce Tweak Utility, RivaTuner (my choice), or other programs also found at www.guru3d.com/files

typical results with the ti4200 is 50-75mhz gpu and 75-125mhz memory gains. your results may vary. i have seen the albatron turbo card such as yours into the 700's on memory. the best way to keep a functional overclocked video card is cooling, more cooling, and more cooling. the nice thing about video card overclocking... is if it isn't going towork it will reboot your computer so that the card is not damaged.

Also.. WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

just do a TON of reading here and you'll be a master in no time. :)

the typical benchmark we use here is 3dmark2001se available at www.madonion.com

TheFrag

You could use the latest Drivers off of Nvidia, but some people swear by older ones. Some have better image quality than others, some are faster, etc. Anyway, you could use any Nvidia supported Overclocking tool. I personally prefer NVmax, but some other ones are coolbits, riva tuner, and powerstrip. You can get most of these from www.aoafiles.com It is basically a wild card on how much it will OC. First you could prbably up it to 300/300 (300/600--technically). I would probably burn it in for about 1 day (run 3dmark2k1( can be downloaded at www.madonion.com) demo in loops). Aferr that benchmark it and up the core and memory by about 5 mhz supplements and then run 3dmark2k1 benchmark to make sure it is stable. Once it gets unstable, lower it down to tthe highest pint at which it is still stable. To make sure it is really stable, play some intense games or run 3dmark2k1 for a pretty long time in demo loop.

Maxvla

btw trendy.. i'd love to have one of those cards to mess around with. :) you made a great purchase.

------------------
used to be higher frag :( :eh?:

OP
trendx

trendx

Thank you guys, so which dets should i use? Just the newest ones? If im just looking to game, and not into 3dmax scores...should i still overclock? Im not really into benchmarkings just stuff like NOLF 2 and UT 2003, and ofcourse that CS!

Maxvla

trendy1 said:
Thank you guys, so which dets should i use? Just the newest ones? If im just looking to game, and not into 3dmax scores...should i still overclock? Im not really into benchmarkings just stuff like NOLF 2 and UT 2003, and ofcourse that CS!
well my video card is rarely o/c'd for gaming. it just doesn't need to be.

i guess if you want to lay on the filtering really thick with anistropic filtering and anti-aliasing you would need to o/c to offset the performance drain.

best det's i've used are the 41.03's but some say they get lower visual performance than the 30 series drivers. it just depends on what your system likes. every computer is different.