• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newbie - building new AMD system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trey

Registered
Hello all:

I currently have a Penitum 2 400 Mhz system - going to 1.2 GHzAthlon with Iwill KK266-R mobo. Is it possible to use my old hard drive and its contents for my new system? What will happen when I boot my new system for the first time using my old hard drive? Any tips here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Trey

Yes, it should work. The first thing that will probably happen is you will get lots of error messages and boot into safe mode. You will have to remove drivers and install the right ones. This can get really messy, but can work. If possible either format the drive (which wipes all the software) and reload the OS or get another hard drive for the boot drive and put your current one as the slave if you want to save your programs.

you can do it like ride now said but your old harddrive is probably a 5400rpm and ata 33 or 66 so your not taking advantage of what you can get out of your new board so you should be thinking about a new 7200rpm,ata100 harddrive there not that expensive any more.

It is best to save all your data, and install the OS from scratch after a new format.....

But if you want to try it ( I do not suggest it), you should go into device manager and remove any device that is related to your motherboard. Then shut down and do the switch....

Thanks for the info everyone!

I was planning on getting a Maxtor DiamondPlus 60 60GB drive (7200 rpm)ATA 100. Can I make that my master drive and use my old drive ATA66 as the slave drive on the same cable coming from one of the ports? I really want to keep some of the info on the old drive, which is why I hesitate to reformat it. Again, any tips are greatly apprecitated!

Thanks again
Trey

Trey (May 09, 2001 05:29 p.m.):
Thanks for the info everyone!

I was planning on getting a Maxtor DiamondPlus 60 60GB drive (7200 rpm)ATA 100. Can I make that my master drive and use my old drive ATA66 as the slave drive on the same cable coming from one of the ports? I really want to keep some of the info on the old drive, which is why I hesitate to reformat it. Again, any tips are greatly apprecitated!

Thanks again
Trey

Trey - You can do that but it will slow down your new drive somewhat. Also, any time you performed a data transfer between the two it would be at the lower speed. If those thibgs aren't an issue you are good to go.

you will need to use the hotfix to get the ata100 working on the iwill maybe the newest bios fixes this. also the drive you are looking at can be scored for only about 75bucks. order it at staples.com PM to CompUSA this week for 99.99 bucks add .16 clips to get total over 100 and then use this coupon 25off100 code 91412 exp may 19. I got it for 90 two weeks ago on same deal. total 75 plus tax shipped!!!!

Back