• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie Card Question, Be Gentle

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GaultMaster

Registered
Ok guys. dont flame me to hard. i did try to search around and such, but i couldnt find exactly the info i wanted. i just recently got back into the whole computer scene (got out of it and fell in love with cars) but i have recently fallen back in love with mulitimedia editing. Im attempting to build another computer (havent built one in YEARS) and i need a decent video card. I want the ability to run multiple monitors (so i can spread my desktop around) and be able to capture video via RCA inputs. i have heard that i can use an SVIDEO adapter to do this also. but i still do need the ability to input. i will need a card that will handle the video and such... im not focused on gaming as i am just mulitimedia focused (course i might get into gaming when i see the results of the video card) anyway back on track here. So basically if you dont mind ( i know you can do it off the top of your head) something that will give me the ability to do RCA ins and also outs... i konw that i will probably have to get a separate card to do Cat5 (cable tv) imputs... but im not worried about that... just some help or a kick in the butt to the right answer would be appreciated... thanks alot guys... ive been learning alot just reading on this site!!! :cool:

Akumu X

Dunno which card has all those bells and whistles on it.
Only thing I can think of short of some proffesional joint is an ATi All In Wonder.

This is the ATI AIW 8500 (since you said gaming wasn't the top priority) ATI AIW 8500

If that don't meet your needs, sorry I can help ya. I'm sure someone else can though.

OP
G

GaultMaster

Registered
I appreciate that man... ill give it a shot... i was looking at em ... but i wasnt too sure if its gonna give me enough umph video wise... but ive been reading.. and it just might be... thanks again! any1 else?

kestrel

Yep, AIW 8500 should be fine if you're not really wanting to play the latest games. They're pretty cheap right now too. If you want to spend a little more I've seen AIW 9700pros for 260 on pricewatch. That should handle all your needs and play doom3 too. :)

OP
G

GaultMaster

Registered
yesssir!! i like playin me some doom... im stuck in friggin laptop land (im a DJ on the weekends and use it to do music) cause tahts all ive needed! and another thing ... this is gonna sound really stupid... will it allow me to plug up my cable line to it and do the whole watching tv thing? cause im most likely gonna get rid of my TV. and if it doest... can i just throw in another card to do that? im pretty sure i can... but i just wanna make sure...

DaddyB

Yeah the AIW 8500 has a cable input and built in TV tuner, it also has svideo in and out, RCA in and out, SPDIF out and 2 IEEE 1394 Firewire ports.

The AIW 8500dv 64MB is clocked at 230/190 (core speed/RAM speed), while the AIW 8500 128MB is clocked at 275/275 and is a little better for gaming. The AIW 9000 is SLOWER then the 8500dv. The AIW 9700Pro is among the fastest (and most expensive) cards and I believe it has component video out (mainly for HDTV) but I don't think it has firewire. The AIW 9800Pro will be out soon (around a month or so I would guess) and it is arguably the fastest gaming card there is but not a whole lot faster then the AIW 9700Pro. When the AIW 9800 comes out it will bring the cost of the AIW 9700 down (and probably the whole AIW series).

-=Mr_B=-

if i remeber right, all the "all in wonder" cards from ati will do this, just select one in your price range...

Best of luck!
B!

(BTW, Welcome back)

OC Noob

Or you can get a video card and a TV card. I would think some of the nicer TV cards would be better then the All-in-Wonder for video stuff. Plus, you won't need to upgrade to another all-in-wonder when your video card is obsolite. The TV card will last a lot longer then the video card if you get into gaming.

It will cost you more for a nicer TV card tho ($100), but it might be worth looking into.

OP
G

GaultMaster

Registered
well i think im gonna go with the 8500 still... just to get my feet wet .... then ill move out to bigger and better things... once again i really do appreciate it guys!

OP
G

GaultMaster

Registered
any suggestions on a sound card though? the mother board has the whole 6.1 surround sound crap... but the mother board card sounds as i remember em tend to suck monkey nuts... id would be neat to have the whole surround sound aspect...

#1Pain

Registered
I was looking into sound cards today.

There are many different manufacturs out there to provide you with what your looking for. Personally I like the Augity2 Plat. but I have read that there are better solutions out the there.

DaddyB

I like my turtle beach santa cruz more then my SB Live 5.1 but that's just me.

I would suggest that you try the onboard sound before you think about replacing it, no point in buying a soundcard if the onboard is good enough. I think the money would be better spent on the speakers, onboard sound and good speakers will probably sound a lot better then a soundcard and OK speakers. If you get digital speakers then you can just use digital out (if the mobo supports it) and in theory digital out should sound the same regardless of the quality of the sound card since it just passes the SPDIF (digital) signal to the digital speakers and the speaker's built in digital decoder does the decoding.

The AIW 8500 has an SPDIF out but I think you need to connect the AIW to the SPDIF out jack on the motherboard/soundcard (internally).

Just my 2 cents...

kestrel

Onboard sound is actually very very good on some of the newer mobos. I second the opinion of quality speakers over expensive soundcard.

Ugmore Baggage

I propose you get a capture card for your inputs. IT should be under $100 and include all sorts of input. My Asus TV880 has sVideo in, Coax Cable (even has a TV tuner), and RCA jacks via a breakout box (Video/Left/Right) that connects to the svideo in.

Most modern video cards include TV (svideo and a simple adaptor) output.

Alternative to TV-out, you can burn CD-Rs in a format compatible with most DVD players on any burner or use a DVD burner to create "real" DVDs.

OP
G

GaultMaster

Registered
does the break out box come with that particular video card? or is there a place that i can find it at! cause if i can buy a capture card and the save some with that and then just buy a killer video card... that would be cool....

Dragonprince

Hmmmmm. I agree with a lot of things posted here but let me share my own experience and see if it helps.

Instead of the AIW8500 I bought a regular retail Radeon 8500 and paired it with the ATI TV Wonder (PCI version). The reason I did this is I wanted the TV watching/recording ability of the TV Wonder and I still wanted to game at full speed when the urge hit (Ive since upgraded to the Radeon 9500 and recommend you do too).

The 9500 was bought to improve gaming and take advantage of the newer rendering features in the Radeon 9500's core that produce a smoother video output when watching highly compressed video (typical of what you get from streaming media off the web).

Now here's the payoff(s)...the TV Wonder allows realtime conversion to MPEG2 video. You can input from DV or older AV tapes (like my CompactVHS collection) or even the TV and produce 30fps video at various quality levels. All together its a nice rounded package and the ability to watch CATV directly on the computer with out using a VCR or converter box is nice. So I get great video features and can still kick butt in gaming...and as games evolve I can upgrade 3d cards and retain the TV Wonder...no need to buy a new AIW every year or two to stay current. They are pricey.

As far as sound goes the new nForce2 AMD boards have excellent audio abilities in their onboard chips. Intel has some excellent onboard sound available now too. The situation is way different than just 2 years ago when onboard audio still sucked compared to an add in card like the Live cards. But make no mistake...the highest quality audio available today (audio phile stuff) is unquestionably the Audigy Platinum line of cards. Nothing else even comes close. And yeah...good speakers make or break any setup, but the old rules still apply. Garbage in = garbage out.

kestrel

No need to buy a platinum audigy unless you're mixing your own sound and need the inputs. Audigy2 non-platinum is about $50? cheaper last I checked and the only difference is the front-panel box.

OP
G

GaultMaster

Registered
well see thats what ive been reading... i think i will get the platinum for the box. i will be mixing sound down with my video and doing some minor recording and such for my dads CDs and such... but once again i really appreciate all of this fellas!