• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie Core i5 OC 3.6GHz Small Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mentokk

Registered
I'll start by saying this is my first computer build ever and first time to oc, well besides my 4650 card. I have always been an enthusiast, but have been busy spending way too much on other hobbies. Anyway I have managed to get to 3.6GHz stable with my new core i5, but cant get the power saving features to work. I disabled them to oc then re-enabled once i was done.

I have C-states on AUTO and Intel Speed Step on Auto. When I set intel speed step on enabled it BSODs. Can anyone tell me where I might be going wrong? Here is a screen shot of my settings. I decided to stop at 3.6 because I'm afraid of high temps(used to having an AMD).

Setup:

ASRock P55 Extreme
Core i5-750
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Cooler
4gb (2gbx2) Gskill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
ATI Radeon HD4650
750 gb WD Caviar Black
550w BFG Tech PS
Antec 900 Case...........everyones favorite :D

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 1,104

Jizzzared

I have a Gigabyte P55A-UD3 and cannot use the power saving features either. I'm running at 19x200. From what I've read, you need to lower the base clock to be able to use them stably.

OP
M

Mentokk

Registered
Well........I seem to have made a small mistake. I accidentally enabled turbo boost when I was enabling Speed Step and Cstates. All is working fine now and multiplier drops to x9. Thanks for the reply Jizzzared, might help someone else.

Also I see alot of numbers being thrown around for what is the maximum safe temperature. I would like to push my system a little farther. I've had it up to 3.8ghz but it was unstable to say the least. My max temps then were about 73-74C under load. Is that acceptable?

TyrAntilles

Registered
Hi everyone. Mentokk, I have the same CPU and a Gigabyte board. The maximum safe temperature for i5 CPU's should be around 70C, but even here is not good to let it run even at this temp for extended periods of time.
I posted a full review of my setup here http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums...ic.php?t=57310 (this is not advertising, is just too hard to post the article again on this board. If the OP's are not OK with this they can delete my post.)

MIAHALLEN

My max temps then were about 73-74C under load. Is that acceptable?
Perfectly safe :thup:

The maximum safe temperature for i5 CPU's should be around 70C, but even here is not good to let it run even at this temp for extended periods of time.
Way off...
...max temp is 100C...with default settings in the BIOS, the CPU will "throttle" (lower speed and voltage) to prevent overheating...this throttling occurs between 95C and 100C :)
IMO max safe temp should be considered around 90C.

Brutal-Force

I am with Miah.... again.

You can enable the Speedstep/C1E and Cstates, however they will reduce your overall overclock, unless you just plan on using Intel Turbo Boost technology.

The reason: When Turbo boost kicks in and all of your powersaving options are enabled, the Multiplier jumps to X24. If you do the math, you will be effectively at 200 Bclk pushing 4.8GHz, which is very very very unlikely on anything less than Liquid Nitrogen. That being said, if you are running at 3.6, then your Bclk should be around 171 and your Multi at 21. That is about normal for being able to use power saving options. So far it would appear that number falls between 165-175, but I have seen somone who can go up to 185 and still enable power saving options (see SamSaveMax's) post.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=626877

Very interesting Info there. Ok, so you have enabled power saving functions. After reading that post, you will notice there are pros and cons to both. Also as Miah has pointed out, Intel considers 99 degrees to be the max temp and most will tell you to keep it 20 degrees below that to be on the safe side, so about 80. As long as your not running it at 95 degrees constantly, you will be fine. I hope this helps.

:welcome: to the forum!

TyrAntilles

Registered
safe temp

IMO max safe temp should be considered around 90C.
90C safe... this contradict all other infos I read, but probably you have a lot more experience with this.

Brutal-Force, yes, I need the power save function more then max overclocking because my computer will run for several days at once.

Thanks both for infos, is good to know that 80C is not the end of the world... or at least of the CPU.

OP
M

Mentokk

Registered
Thanks for the replies. I am just trying to get a safe and comfortable overclock for daily use of the computer, so power saving is a must. I am planning to get a new video card to replace my super bottleneck 4650 soon. Then, I would like to join the overclockers benchmark team. It has become very addicting. I'm also planning to get 2 90cfm fans for the HSF so I can see how much I can get out of air cooling for some benchmarks!

Oh, and a special thanks goes out to MIAHALLEN! I was unable to get over 3.4ghz without major stability issues before reading your guide.