• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie finding best settings for 8086k, Noctua NH-U14s and Prime Z390A

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Power limit throttling actually can prevent you from failing the XTU test. Failing the test means that data is being lost during the calculation work that makes up the stress test. It's expecting a certain mathematical sum from the calculations and getting something different. XTU will notify you if that happens and terminate the test. If the machine is grossly unstable you will actually get a lockup or blue screen and spontaneous restart.

But there is also the thermal limit of the CPU where it throttles back to prevent damage to itself, about 100c.

Alright, I've been and maxed out the Low and High throttle timers in the ASUS bios and given it an hours kicking with RealBench. It seems to have given me the flawless 49x I was looking for but by eck she runs hot.

1 hour of running at a flawless 49x (1 x avx offset)
Max Temp 90ºC
Avg Temp 77-80ºC
Max vCore 1.275v
Avg vCore 1.260v

So, I guess it works now and with a much lower voltage than the default settings would use but I'm not sure I really want this running quite this hot! I guess in real life it will never really get this much punishment. Or rather, I hope not! I wonder if a 360 AIO in the black friday sales might help, but I'm skeptical. I think the noctua is doing a pretty reasonable job in everyday life situations. What do you all think?

Ha, I'd found the same post earlier :D

I'll get using the system as it is now then and see if there aren't a few more tweaks to be found.

Thanks for the help all!

Please use the Go Advanced button to edit the subject line to say [Solved] if you think it's time to close this thread.

Back