• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie Folding Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RPM_Computing

Been folding for a coupple days now with the systems in my sig, what I want to know is I have v3 of [email protected] on the XP and v2 on the Duron, both registered under my handle. With both of these machines do my stats acumulate from both into one?

A coupple other questions, what is a WU? and how do they add up to actual statistics per individual and team? I will post other questions on this thread when I think of them.

I am outa here for now. :burn:

Thanks in advance!

Rick.

NASsoccer

On a string I was held Senior
RPM_Computing said:
Been folding for a coupple days now with the systems in my sig, what I want to know is I have v3 of [email protected] on the XP and v2 on the Duron, both registered under my handle. With both of these machines do my stats acumulate from both into one?

You can use the same folding name on as many rigs as you can get your hands on:) v2 stats still count so you will get complete credit for those, although, it couldn't hurt to upgrade because there are a lot of new feature/options/safeguards with v3. You can even use the text client 4 times on the same computer, although this is not recommended by Stanford, but if you wish to know how to do that, there is a guide -=here=-

RPM_Computing said:

A couple other questions, what is a WU? and how do they add up to actual statistics per individual and team? I will post other questions on this thread when I think of them.

A WU is the protein that you client downloads to fold and 'misfold' Each WU is worth a certain amount of points, that can be found -=here=-. Each WU has a deadline as well, these are on the above page too.

You ge the points when you turn in the WU, the points then go to your name and team.

FOLD ON
NAS

OP
R

RPM_Computing

Cool, thanks NAS,

If I was to run multiple (4) text clients on one system would that make each WU take up to 4 times longer to complete? And if there is a deadline per WU, I would then be risking not getting any points for us at all?

Gnerma

RPM_Computing said:
If I was to run multiple (4) text clients on one system would that make each WU take up to 4 times longer to complete? And if there is a deadline per WU, I would then be risking not getting any points for us at all?

Yes if you were to run more than one instance it would take that many times longer for each wu to complete. 2 instances = twice as long etc.. Yes you would risk not finishing them in time depending on the speed of the CPU. There is only one really good reason to run more than one instance that being if you're on dial-up and you want to connect and turn in WUs less than when each one finishes.. People do this, I don't know I'm on broadband :D There are a few other reason to run more than one instance but don't worry about it, just run one.

By the way, WU stands for Work Unit if that was part of your previous question. Welcome to the Overclockers.com folding team comrade :)

Gnerma

OP
R

RPM_Computing

One other question about my account, I signed up with a hotmail.com account and it appears I no sooner sign up for it and they banned hotmail, msn and yahoo accounts. I can not log in and it does not appear I can modify my account to my new e-mail. I tried sending for the password recovery although I know I typed it in correctly but am getting no response. I hope I am not folding for no reason under my current account.

OP
R

RPM_Computing

Thanks for the welcome Gnerma, I too am on Broadband and just let my machines fold 24/7, both are quite stable at their current settings and I am on my 6th WU between both systems. I actually feel like I am doing something productive with these machines other than just OC'ing them.

Happy to be part of the team!

Gnerma

RPM_Computing said:
Thanks for the welcome Gnerma .... I actually feel like I am doing something productive with these machines other than just OC'ing them.

No problem..

Isn't folding great? It give us that excuse we were always looking for to overclock :)

"Hey buddy your CPU is smoking!"

"Yes but it's all for a good cause."

Thank you for the congrats too, when I get the new box it will fold like a mother 24/7/365.

I don't have an answer to your email address question, I suggest you PM a mod about it.