• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newbie for now

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

knack4it

Registered
Greetings.
I am rather new to computing. Maybe two years. I have learned a great deal however. A brief history ensues.

Started with 486. Then p60. Then p133. Then I got serious and researched for 6months to buy a big rig. This was one year ago. I bought a gigabyte 7zx. At the time, it was a good board. Supported athlon and duron 200(100). I chose that one over Asus and Abit and MSI because of all the reviews that I read it was consistantly stable. And it had good onboard sound. As it turns out, it was and still is extremely stable. However it did not clock to 133. Thus no 266Athlon. It is not an OC board. That was my first real build.

Most of this year was spent collecting older systems. I bought a few fellows out when they were closing doors. I went to public school sales. Most of what I got was 486's, first generation pentiums and a few pII's. I got a slug of mobos. A ton of displays, I/O's, hdd's, cd-roms, so on and so on. The greatest thing I have learned is how to identify and find manuals and drivers for all of these parts. It took me about a year to gather all of the parts and info and 72pin simms. And I picked up a bunch of good monitors for $5 each. Anyway, I had over 75 systems. I ended up with 18 nice pentium I or better machines with at least 1gig hdd's. My goal was to set up a network at work, owning the entire system. My dad works for an aluminum plant in the computer department and he got me two imb 320 servers with 6 hdd raid array and loaded with software. Now I own the whole thing, nics, everything. A little old and slow, but it works. Once we implement a lan or wan or webserver, the business will start to upgrade, leaving me with a complete network to sell for hopefully a good price to someone just getting into it. ANYWAYS, through building all of these older computers with such hodge podge parts, my knowledge has really jumped. In two short years I have surpassed even the local techies ( at least in a lot of areas). I have a penchant for not being seen on the internet, and so I spent a great deal of time researching how it all works and how to not really be seen. ANYONE INTERESTED IN SOME OF MY FINDINGS CAN EMAIL ME AND I WILL GIVE YOU A FEW PIECES OF INFO. I ONLY DO THIS IN MY SPARE TIME, SO BE A LITTLE PATIENT ON THE RETURNS, ALTHOUGH IT WILL NOT BE TOO LONG.

The next area for me is overclocking. I constantly read and learn. I just built a new system for a friend. I used the new MSI k7n420PRO mobo (nvidia nforce chipset). That board definately is fast and pretty stable. It is not however an enthusiasts board. The onboard video at 32mb (max) is ok if you don't play games or do much graphic intensive stuff. More for a business user or newbie. I decided not to get one myself because of lack of oc ability and the degredation of performance with an add on video card. That is one wierd board.

After much research, I bought the soyo dragon+plus. With the kt266a chip, it is fairly mature. And new drivers always come out from via. As far as marks go, it was up there with Asus. It beat the msi and some others, although the marks differences really are slight. I bought the amd athlon xp1800+. It is priced right. I bought both a thermaltake6 and something called Thermal Integrations doctor thermal coolers. The doctor thermal is a really unique design that I wanted to try. I have a maxtor 60, 20, 7.5 gig ata100 and quantum 10gig ata100 hdd setup. I have purchased the Gainward g3ti200 golden sample with outs and ins video card. The g3 was 100$ more, and with overclocking, I doubt I would see the difference. I have an antec 400w psu and full tower. 52x creative, 32x mitsumi, 24x10x40x tdk velocd burner, and will have a 16x dvd. Have a SupraSST modem ( which in my opinion beats the pants off of a usr) sorry, can't afford broadband.
The soyo board sports 6 channel digital audio, but for backup, have live5.1 card. I am going to use arctic silverII compound.

The soyo board reviewed well for OCing but the downside is the memory tweaks are really not there. I am waiting for the hsf's and the G3 card.

Now to the meat. Once I get a stable OS (probably 98SE) what do I want to do for OCing? I am familiar with the terminology, multiplier, vcore, and so on. But which one do I adjust first, or more than one first. How do I tell what it is doing to my cpu? I assume the board will have temp. shutoff. If it does not have temp. shutoff from bios, is there an alternative. What mistakes can I make that will fry things besides not having a heatsink and fan. Any opinions on the heatsink and fans that I have? I really had to scrape to get all of this and I cannot afford another $200 cpu. And do these same rules apply to the video card. I know that Gainward is geard for the OCer. Do I have to do it from windows with a program? If so, what is recommended. I can go to a site like Toms or Anandtech to get their guides, but I would rather have advice from the realworld. You Guys.

I am not one to just start changing things. I need to research everything. If it was a cheesy p133, it might, but not this.

Any tips or suggestions on some baby steps would be appreciated.

By the way, I never get pop up windows or off site ads. And no website or network tracks me. Cookies are instantly taken care of so no ones knows what I do. Scripts are heralded with a box, and no program accesses the net without my knowledge. But most importantly, Javascript is under my thumb, mostly. It makes my 52,000bps connection seem pretty quick for surfing.

Thanks.

Shadow ÒÓ

Mod in Hiding
read the front page first. You'll find the beginners guides which will give you some insite to starting off. There's also a ton of other useful infomation there to give you tips as to road blocks and bottle necks that you may encounter.

Welcome to the forums!

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
Welcome to the Forums. Just remember don't try to run Raid with those hard drive. If you want to use Raid make sure they are the same size if not on the bigger of the two you will have lost space. Also remember to join one of the teams either Seti or [email protected] or maybe even both. May your overclocking be filled with alot of luck.

OP
K

knack4it

Registered
Seti?

Thanks for the tip. One reason I went with the Soyo over the MSI is that you can set the raid to be configured for 8 Ide devices without actually using the raid setup. I do a lot of burning cd's and I am constantly inserting new ones, so now I can have 4 hdds and 4 cd-roms.

Question #1, in one of the beginner articles it mentions a program called Burn6. I cannot seem to locate a site to download that from. Any help?

Question #2, in the past I have used Passmarks Burn in test and Performance test. Are these any real indicator of anything. I also have used SSS and 3dmark, quake, vulpine and a slew of others just playing around. Any other cool benchmarking or burn in programs you guys like?

Question #3, what is seti and [email protected]?

Mike K

There is another post in GD that tells what SETI and [email protected] is. SETI is Search for ExtraTerrestials or somethign close to that, and folding is I think where universities send you something(not really sure, maybe a protein) and you do something with it. ARGH! Just look in GD.

I like Sandra to do my burn in tests