• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie Guide to Setting up Your Own Apache Server on Windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So you can use an Apache server as a message board? Sounds interesting.

As far as a mail server, can computers connected behind this recieve separate emails via the same ISP?

New to this and would like my own message board and emails.....oh and I have Cox. This will not be for business use just personal and gaming chat only.

Thanks for any advice.

ca420 said:
So you can use an Apache server as a message board? Sounds interesting.

As far as a mail server, can computers connected behind this recieve separate emails via the same ISP?

New to this and would like my own message board and emails.....oh and I have Cox. This will not be for business use just personal and gaming chat only.

Thanks for any advice.

I'm not sure I understand your mail server question. For me, I can send and receive emails just the same as any other free or paid email account. In fact, my main email address is hosted on my server (in my basement). It's just like owning your own email service. You admin the emails, you create as many email accounts as you want, and you can access those email accounts from anywhere in the world as long as you have the correct username and password.

I am looking for more info in the Apache server software and it's uses I guess. Does it have to boot to the Apache server software or do you just boot up like normal and then open the server software and let it run? I want to have a message board at my house and use a second PC as the message board/mail server.

New to this stuff and just curious on how it operates, and it's uses.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Apache will run as a service with Windows. That means that as soon as Windows starts and logs on, your server is running (and hosting email, files, web pages, bullitin boards, chat rooms, or whatever you have on it). Everything happens in the background.

At my house, I have 4 computers all connected to the Internet (my computer, my server, my brothers computer, and my parents computer). My server runs 24/7 (it uses apache).

Appserv is a package installer. It includes Apache (http server software), along with some apache add-ons like PHP (runs php based forums), MySQL (a database that stores posts, usernames, passwords, preferences, etc... for forums), and a few others.

Apache is an example of HTTP server software. Basically, any address that you type in that starts with http:// is being run via an HTTP server. When you install and use apache on a computer, that computer is called a server. HTTP is the most popular protocol for sending/receiving data on the Internet. Think of all the addresses that start with http://. Those sites use an HTTP server.

Serv-U is an example of FTP server software. It runs totally separate from your HTTP server. Any address that starts with ftp:// is being run via a FTP server. FTP is generally used for uploading or downloading files to or from a server. If I was at school and wanted to upload a file to my server, I would connect via FTP and transfer that file from school to my server. I can also download stuff via FTP just like I can via HTTP.

ArgoSoft is an example of a Mail server software. It acts as a POP3 mail server (received mail), and an SMPT mail server (sends mail). Just like FTP server software, POP3/SMTP servers run totally separate from HTTP server software. But you need a mail program (like outlook express) on your comouter to send or receive emails from your mail server.

So on my server, I have apache installed as a service for HTTP transfers, Serv-U installed as a service for FTP transfers, and ArgoSoft installed as a service for incoming/outgoing emails. This is just about all I need for hosting just about anything I want hosted. And it all runs on my one server in the basement.

So you said you wanted to have a message board and a mail server hosted on your server. This guide should take you through the steps needed to do that. For this, you will need to follow these steps in the guide:

Read over Before You Begin for information on what you need to do to prep your computer for serving.

Read over and follow Simple DNS Update Client With Sudbdomain (No-IP) to take you through the steps required to get a fast and easy address for your server.

Then install apache by following the HTTP Server (AppServ) steps.

If you want to be able to upload stuff to your server from anywhere, follow the FTP Server (Serv-U) steps.

Then you need to install the email server, so follow the Email Server (ArgoSoft Mail Server) instructions.

Once you do all that, you should have your server installed and ready to work. Now you will want to install the message board stuff. I suggest following the phpBB2 steps to install phpbb2, a free php based message board system.

After you do all that, you should be good to go.

Last edited:
in the past few days ive had 2 little kiddies hack into my clans website...we are useing phpnuke and i do not know how they are doing it but how can i lockup phpnuke better to try to keep these kiddies out? if ya need anymore info pm me or post here and i will get it

PHP-Nuke should be secure. If there are any security bugs or problems, you should probably check the nuke forums or release documents for fixes. As far as appserv, check and see if your database is secure. Phpmyadmin is left open by default when you install it. They could be altering the data in your database by just visiting www.yoursite.com/phpmyadmin/.

i dunno...but the two who did it have done it to alot of other nuke sites...but i now have there home address and phone number :D they will be wishing they had never messed with the website

Hey, I am having problems with this. When I type in my no-ip website it asks for a user name and password, and it dosn't accept the one I used for registration. :confused:

I am soo confused..... :-/

No IP generates a password for you, and it's usually emailed to the account that you registered with. Click "forgot password", type in your email, and it will send the goofy generated password to your account. After that, just login with the password they sent you, and you should be good to go.

I traded AppServ for BigApache in the guide. Once I finish this guide completely, I will convert the backup of this thread to HTML and keep it posted here on this thread as an attachment under the FAQ post.

I am a little fuzzy on how to forward the ports at the begining there, anyone have any info on this? I have a lynksys router

I can't open port 80 on my lynksys router AHHHHHH!!!

Last edited:
error/password from router?

man this thread is awesome!

just a quick question - anyone know what this error/password screen is??

error.JPG

I do have a router but I dont recall setting any passwords for it... =(

that is no errore. u need youre login username and password to log into youre router. as far as the password goes every router comes witha stock password. give the guys @ linkysys a call and thell give it to u.

thanks! it worked, I was able to get the password and change it to something I can remember... but now I keep getting the router setup screen instead of my index.html page... any ideas?

yea me and eatmyshorts are really stuck cos we are desperate to setup a PHP-Nuke site....but its soooo confusing cos you have to have all of the PHP + MYSQL installed...will your updated guide help us?
thanks

Sure I'll help you guys right now. I'm assuming you have at least no-ip setup. If not, follow those directions. If you have a domain name, use the zoneedit and directupdate instructions instead. Either way, lets hope you have an easy to remember address that points to your server.

These are step-by-step instructions. Many parts are obvious, but for the sake of elliminating any possibility of error, I'm including all steps.

1) Uninstall BigApache or AppServ.
2) Restart your computer.
3) Delete any remaining folders from BigApache or AppServ.
4) I suggest you guys use AppServ 2.4.0. It's very easy to use and install, and is the most stable version. So go to http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/appserv/appserv-win32-2.4.0.exe?download and download it.
5) Install AppServ (you can follow the AppServ installation directions at http://ke-clan.com/apache/appserv.html (my site hosted with appserv 2.4.0). Once your finished, come back to this post.
6) Now visit http://localhost/phpmyadmin. You can replace localhost with whatever your address is and that will work too.
7) You should be on a screen that says "Welcome to phpMyAdmin 2.5.6". Click on the Priviledges link.
8) Click the Add a New User link.
9) Type in a new username (example ps2cho), leave host blank, type a password (example pass123), and confirm the password. See all the checkboxes under general priviledges? Click them all. Once they are all checked, click the Go button.
10) It will go to a new page that says you have added a new user. Close phpmyadmin, and open C:\AppServ\www\PhpMyAdmin\config.inc.php in WordPad.
11) Do a search for the word root. Once you find root, change it to whatever your new username is (example ps2cho). Right below it is a password field. It is blank. Change it to whatever your password is (example pass123) for your new username.
12) Do another search for the word $cfg['PmaAbsoluteUri']. Next to it should be an address. Change it to http://yourdomain.com/phpmyadmin/. Below is an example of what mine looks like:
$cfg['PmaAbsoluteUri'] = 'http://ke-clan.com/phpmyadmin/';
13) Save the file, and exit WordPad.
14) Now go back to http://localhost/phpmyadmin/ and go back to the Priviledges page. Put a check mark next to all the users except the one with your new username (example ps2cho). Make sure "Just delete the users from the privilege tables." is selected, and click the Go button.
15) You should now be on a page that says the selected users have been deleted. Now close phpmyadmin.
16) Open command prompt (Start > Run > "cmd" or "command")
17) Navigate to your phpmyadmin directory (C:\AppServ\www\phpmyadmin\)
18) Type "edit .htaccess" and press enter.
19) MSEdit will open a new file called .htaccess. Type the following:
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Secured Directory"
AuthUserFile c:/appserv/www/phpmyadmin/.htpasswd
require valid-user

20) Save and Exit MSEdit.
21) Now that we are back in command prompt, navigate to the directory C:\AppServ\apache\bin
22) Type the following:
htpasswd -c c:\appserv\www\phpmyadmin\.htpasswd ps2cho
(Replace ps2cho with whatever username you want)
23) Type a new password, press enter, and confirm your password. When it's finished it should say "Adding password for user ps2cho" (or whatever username you typed).
24) Restart Apache and MySQL. If you don't know how to do this, just restart your computer.
25) Now follow the phpNuke installation instructions near the top of this guide.
26) Open the config.php file with WordPad in your phpNuke directory, and edit the two lines of code where it asks for username and password to the database. Just do a search for "root" and replace it with your username, and fill in the password directly below it. Save and exit wordpad (or whatever you are using to edit the file).

Ok that was a lot of typing, but it will actually only take you a few seconds to follow each step. Hope that works.

Last edited:
thank for the guid but my problem is the comp i run the server on dousent work with the appserve for some reason. um any ports i should open. I have DMZ On. so it lets all ports Thru. How do i confuger it to run port 8080 insted of port 80 that my ISP Blocks. I know its in the HTdocs or somthing and ivve don it too but still, it dousent work.

For Apache 1.3 (appserv 2.3.0), its under Section 2 in the httpd.conf file. Change Port 80 to Port 8080 or some other number. Save the file, and exit out of notepad. Now restart apache.

Then, in your browser, type http://yourdomain.com:8080/ and your site should work. Of course, you will have to open port 8080 on your router. If 8080 doesnt work, try a different number.

In any event, http://localhost/ should work from your server. If it doesn't, there's another problem here that probably has nothing to do with your ISP or network.

Last edited:
Back