• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newbie here, any suggestions for change?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

texmex9

Hi all,

About to order from cyberpower. I want to check out their overclocking when I get it. Any suggestions for change? I'm not a big gamer, just SCII right now. I do software development (mulit-threaded) using c#, c++, and python, and I have to deal with Matlab quite a bit because that's what the boss uses and we get to translate :( Computational speed is paramount. I want to have a Ubuntu virtual machine for development. 3D is not huge polygon count, relatively modest actually. Here's the list:

BLUETOOTH: None
BUNDLE: None

CARE1: Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+19]
CARE2: CoolerMaster Thermal Fusion 400 Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation [+10]
CARE3: Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]

CAS: * Corsair Obsidian Series 700D Full Tower Gaming Case w/ 3x 140mm fans [+135]
CASUPGRADE: None

CD: Samsung SH-B123L 12X BLU-RAY Player & DVDRW Combo [+67] (BLACK COLOR)
CD2: None

CPU: [Special] Intel(R) Core™ i7-950 3.06 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366

CS_FAN: Default case fans
FA_HDD: Vigor iSURF II Hard Disk Drive Cooling System [+21] (2 x Systems [+27])
FAN: Asetek 550LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Advanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) [+18]

FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer [+10] (BLACK COLOR)

FLOPPY: None
GLASSES: None

HDD: 80GB Corsair Force 80 Gaming MLC Solid State Disk [+188] (80GB x 2 (160GB Capacity) Raid 0 Extreme Performance [+253])
HDD2: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+93] (1TB x 2 (2 TB Capacity) Raid 0 Extreme Performance [+93])

IEEE_CARD: None
KEYBOARD: (Keyboard & Mouse Combo) Logitech Wireless Desktop MK300 Keyboard & Mouse Combo [+29]
LANSURGE: None
MB_ADDON: None

MEMORY: 12GB (4GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module [+292] (Corsair or Major Brand)

MONITOR: None
MONITOR2: None
MONITOR3: None

MOTHERBOARD: * (3-Way SLI Support) GigaByte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Ultra Durable™3 Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 ATX
Mainboard w/ 7.1 Dolby Audio, eSATA, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2 x SATA-III RAID, IEEE1394a, 4 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI [+42]

MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
MULTIVIEW: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

NOISEREDUCE1: Sound Absorbing Foam on Side, Top And Bottom panels [+29]
NOISEREDUCE2: Power Supply Gasket [+5]
NOISEREDUCE3: Anti-Vibration Fan Mounts [+9]

OS: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 7 Professional [+135] (64-bit Edition)

OVERCLOCK: Extreme OC (Extreme Overclock 20% or more) [+49]

POWERSUPPLY: * 850 Watts - CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gaming 80 Plus Power Supply [+138]

PRINTER: None
PRINTER_CABLE: None
RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

SOFT1: Microsoft(R) Office(R) 2010 Home and Student (Word, Excel, PowerPoint + OneNote) [+105]

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: None
TEMP: Thermal Temperature Color LCD Display [+15] (Black Color)
TVRC: None
USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
USBFLASH: None
USBHD: None
USBX: NZXT Internal USB 6-PORT Expansion Module [+19]

VC_PHYSX: None
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+184] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

VIDEO2: None
VIDEO3: None

WNC: PCI Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Interface Card [+19]

---------------------------------------------------------------------

comes out to 2858.00

Looking for comments, expecially in the motherboard area.

Rants? Raves?

texmex

Umm build it yourself and pocket the extra money? Almost 3 grand, you're nuts to blow that wad when u can get something cheaper AND better.

Get an i7 930 and a decent air cooler and push it past 4ghz easy or blow your money on a 6 core i7 980x and a good air cooler as well.

Any short bus passenger can build a computer.

You see my specs in my sig, Im running a i7 920 @ 4ghz on air, it would be faster than yours. Also having a good motherboard for overclocking also helps.

Another thing, in order to really push an i7, you need better than "Cosair or Major brand ram," the ram speed raises with the speed of the processor, so choosing decent ram is key to a good i7 overclock. For 3 grand, you could go fricken nuts with crazy bad *** parts. For a thousand you could probably build it yourself and the 700D is a absolutely massive case, just so you know.

Sorry, hope I don't sound too rude, but my "Angel soft" has no Benjamin Franklin designs on it.

Last edited:
I'm not really into building the thing myself, and from what I've seen, for identical configurations, it doesn't really save you that much, at least not enough to worry about. From NewEgg, a 930 would only save me about 9 dollars. I've seen people claiming 4.2 GHz on air with the 950.

240.00 of the final price is software.

The ram is 1600, that's one area that I'm trying to figure out. it's 4 by 3, so I can expand later if I need to (I use a LOT of ram). Don't know if going to 1800 or 1866 would be worth it.

The motherboard looks good to me, from what I've read it's pretty good for overclocking.

The liquid cooling came for free, but I upgraded one notch for 18.00

Expensive were the 2 striped 80gb force80 ssds, and the 2 striped 1gb sataIII hard drives, and the RAM upgrade to 12gb@1600.

My priority for use is getting data off the disk, processed, and back to disk as quickly as possible, with some amount of 3d display going on, but not at high priority. The hex core 980x would be a good choice for me, but still too pricey for the extra cores. with the 1366 socket I can upgrade later with a BIOS change, when the price drops.

The base configuration was:
Intel Core i7-950 CPU
Star Trek Online Digital Deluxe Game
6GB DDR3/1333MHz RAM
NVIDIA GT 430 1GB Video
MSI X58 Pro-E Intel X58 MB
1TB SATA II 7200 RPM HD
24X DVD+-R/+-RW Drive

+ free liquid cooling for 835.00

The motherboard looks good to me, from what I've read it's pretty good for overclocking.

I'm not really into building the thing myself, and from what I've seen, for identical configurations, it doesn't really save you that much, at least not enough to worry about. From NewEgg, a 930 would only save me about 9 dollars. I've seen people claiming 4.2 GHz on air with the 95

It's kind of worrying that your going to be overclocking but do not understand how to slap a computer together. If you do take that chance I'd be very careful. But if you built it yourself not only would you save some coin, but you'd learn about everything else in the process and basically build a foundation to put all of that knowledge for overclocking on. Otherwise I wouldn't trust someone who doesn't know how to put a computer together to overclock it. Also a 20% overclock is really easy, even my 920 hits 4.4ghz on AIR.

My two cents

Thanks for the feedback, but I do know how to put one together, did it at work from way back in the windows 3.1 days - it's just that I haven't seen big savings by doing that, since I don't get quantity discounts on anything.
Also, it's worth a little premium to avoid the hassle, I don't really find it fun the put them together. Kind of like working on cars....

Overclocking I haven't done. But the overclocking potential of the 9xx series kind of fascinated me. That's why I ordered it pre-overclocked. I've been reading quite a bit about the process, just haven't done it. I want to see how it comes set up, and then experiment from there (carefully).

I've seen stories of +20% overclock without even hardly touching the voltages, so I believe it's easy, although not having done it I'd rather get something already configured and go from there.

I didnt wanna use the effort to prove it, but ratbuddy's right on that one. But if it is a hassle, i can see it being worth it to some people. I'm a poor post-college grad.

Thanks RatBuddy,

Maybe I'll have to rethink the building my own part. That's quite a bit more difference than I thought it would be. The only thing I see is 3gb vs 6gb SATAIII hard drives, I'll look that up.

It's not 800.00 worth of hassle :)

Ok,

Took that setup and tweaked it to be as close as possible to the original setup. (2gb gtx 460 vs 1gb), the 700d case, wireless card, etc., and from NewEgg with shipping it comes to 2316.00.

The 2gb 460 may not be worth the extra, the case may go back to your suggestion, etc. I just wanted to see what the difference would be.

I'll play with the config some more but it looks like building it myself would save more that I had thought. Thanks.

Ok,

Took that setup and tweaked it to be as close as possible to the original setup. (2gb gtx 460 vs 1gb), the 700d case, wireless card, etc., and from NewEgg with shipping it comes to 2316.00.

The 2gb 460 may not be worth the extra, the case may go back to your suggestion, etc. I just wanted to see what the difference would be.

I'll play with the config some more but it looks like building it myself would save more that I had thought. Thanks.

1GB is enough for a 460. The 2GB card performs almost exactly the same :beer:

Back