• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie here...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vagabond9

Greetings to everyone. It's my first time posting here as I'm new to the world of custom building desktops. I've been a laptop user until now, but figuring that I barely move around now, I felt like it's time that I try going for a desktop. Instead of buying pre-built desktops, I've read that customizing your own desktop would be the better option.

Now, having barely any knowledge, I've been doing a lot of research through sleepless nights. I was planning on going for the ASUS crosshair VIII formula, but I feel like I wouldn't really use it to its fullest potential. So I've decided on the ASUS x570e-gaming.

I mainly use my computers for photoshop, movies, and importantly midi composing.

So, I was wondering if this motherboard would be right for me. I'm not really looking for a budget model, but also don't want to overspend on a motherboard in which I'll barely use its full ability.

For CPU, I've decided on the Ryzen 7 3700x.

Now I'm kind of lost on what other parts would best complement these two parts. I'm usually the type that doesn't really like to ask suggestions and do things on my own. But I've spent days doing research, and I'm burnt out from the all information to customizing. :(

Any suggestions or recommendations would be great! Thank you all in advance!!

Pcpartpicker.com is great source to check out builds. Taco knows this is of little help, but might be of little help in picking what would werk. Also has conflicts feature.

Motherboards will depend on what features you think you want/need. If you don't want/need the RGB LED light show you could drop down to the Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wifi and save $100 which you could put toward a 3900X (12-core) or a graphics card. I would also suggest a PCIe 4.0 SSD drive, looking at your usage it could save you some wait times.
2x8 GB DDR4 between 3200 and 3600 MHz tighter timings preferred but watch the cost and preferably something geared toward AMD. You can check the QVL list for your motherboard choice online to see if they have tested those sticks. It's not the be-all-end-all but a good guide.

Here's a start already spent about $1000 and you still need a case, graphics card, OS, mouse, KB, and monitor https://pcpartpicker.com/list/c6h2n7

Welcome to the Forums Vagabond!

Do you have a budget you are trying to stay within? With a budget in mind it can make it easier for us to make recomendations for you.

Back