• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie looking for help overclocking GTX 1080

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HedgehogDroid

Hi,
Newbie looking for some help overclocking the following system (used for playing BFV (me), overwatch / fortnite (kids)), apolgies in advance for my lack of knowledge:
ASRock - Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Intel Core i7 4790K
G.Skill - Ares Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (was 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) but seems to be a problem with a couple of sticks, looking into that).
Noctua NH-D15
Samsung - 850 Pro Series 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (system drive, via M2_2 slot, not as fast for drive as M2_1 but allows full bandwidth for GTX1080)
Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card
Corsair - 730T Black ATX Full Tower Case
EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
LG - GH24NSC0 DVD/CD Writer
Monitor - Acer XB271HU A

Are there advantages to overclocking with MSI Afterburner vs the software that came with my board (Gigabyte extreme gaming / Auros engine)?

With either software, when I try values that too high / cause system instability, what's the simplest way to step back to stable values (e.g. if system is too unstable to restart the overclocking software in windows)?

What target values should I be aiming at for this board?

I'm just aiming at a good quality playing experience in BFV. A couple of months ago, started getting poor quality experience (hard to quantify - FPS on 2560*1440 drop down to about 90, plus seems to be a lot of 'lag' / player has moved from image by the time I shoot) partly corrected by quick and dirty oc (4.7 G on cpu (one click oc from asrock uefi bios, yup I'm lazy), GPU clock +130 MHz, gpu mem clock +200 MHz, GPU voltage +60%; FPS about the same but not so much lag), looking to do a better job now.

userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/15590262

Thanks very much.

Last edited:
Overclocking the GPU will not effect the FPS lag you can see. Describe what kind of lag you are seeing. Don't have MSI afterburner apply settings at start up until you are stable.

Back