• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie Modding Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EmTSea19

I am new to Modding, so you can't make fun of my questions. ;)

1) Do fan grills go on the inside or outside of cases and power supplies?

2) I want to dremel out the stamped fan grill of a Power Supply. Do I have to open it up to get any dremel dust out, or will the fan just blow it out?

3) I was thinking of bending the front intake grills on my power supply 90 degrees to increase air flow. The grills that are on the side of the power supply, not the bottom. Would it be better to just dremel them out? If so, is it okay to leave it open, because otherwise it ould need some type of home made rectangular grill.

4) Can a Dremel cut acrylic, lexan, etc...and router the edges of it?

Thanks.

EmTSea19 said:
I am new to Modding, so you can't make fun of my questions. ;)

1) Do fan grills go on the inside or outside of cases and power supplies?

2) I want to dremel out the stamped fan grill of a Power Supply. Do I have to open it up to get any dremel dust out, or will the fan just blow it out?

3) I was thinking of bending the front intake grills on my power supply 90 degrees to increase air flow. The grills that are on the side of the power supply, not the bottom. Would it be better to just dremel them out? If so, is it okay to leave it open, because otherwise it ould need some type of home made rectangular grill.

4) Can a Dremel cut acrylic, lexan, etc...and router the edges of it?

Thanks.

1) they can technically go wherever youy want but generally are on the outside of the case (so you can show off the design, if any)

2) you MUST open it and clean out the dust, metal fillings can short connections and is generally a bad thing to have laying around where electricity is concerned.

3)guess you could leave it open but the point of the grills is to keep stuff out that shouldnt be in there. but as long as there's nothing near it I would thing they dont need to be there.

4) dremel can cut lexan/acryllic but Im not to sure how well it would router something. Whatever you do make sure the dremel is on a very low speed so you dont burn/melt the plastic your cutting.

And have fun with your mods and stuff :)

Back