• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie ? More mem. than the FSB can handle?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ghost_shell

Registered
I am deciding on a new mobo. and I have a question. I recently read a review on anandtech about the new Granite Bay chipset from Intel. The mobo' with the new chipset are dual channel boards that can support only DDR 266. The new chipset from SIS, the 655 can support DDR333.........

The part that has me confused is this, verbatim from anandtech

" SIS still plans to have stiff competition for Intel's latest dual DDR chipset. Dubbed the SIS 655, this chipset supports dual DDR333 memory, meaning moboo's based on the 655 chipset will have a 4:5 divider in the BIOS that enables 333 mhz memory speed assuming you're ussing a 533mhz FSB processor. However, having dual DDR333 may not be beneficial, as this would offer well over 1GB/s more than the P4's FSB can handle and could result in latency penalties which would lower performance versus dual DDR266 mode."

Should I consider the new SIS chipset and mobos or should I stick to a Granite Bay chipset with dual DDR 266?

I plan on buying nothing but the CORSAIR DDR modules with CAS 2.0.

Any help on this is , as always appreciated!

Placid

If you can wait until the boards are available so you can get some real benchmarks with actual production boards overclocked and not then I would suggest waiting until then before making a decision.