• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie needs help please , yes I have an overclockable motherboard too.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bradley

Registered
Greetings ,

I have a Celeron 700 with an Asus CUSL2-C mobo. What is a step by step way to overclock this to say 900 or 1gz? I know how to get into the bios but do not know what to change the cpu voltage and clock multiplier too. Thanks for any responses...

First off, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

If you haven't already read this (sounds like you might have read some of it already), the Overclockers.com Beginner's Guide Section has some good stuff to know about how to overclock, and other helpful hints about your computer in general. One article I think is definitely worth a look is this one , which was written by one of our Forum Senior Members, Batboy. It is a very thorough article that gives you the do’s and don’ts of overclocking.

Take baby steps... nothing more than maybe 75FSB on your first shot. Boot into Windows and run some sort of processor intensive application or burn-in utility for about an hour, and if it's stable, reboot, and try a higher FSB. Do not try adjusting your multiplier, it is locked, and there's no unlocking it. I think you'll probably end up somewhere around 950-1GHz out of your processor, but be warned, this is basically trial and error. If you go too high and the system will not POST, you must find the "clear CMOS" jumper, and set it so it will clear the BIOS (your manual should have more info on this). This will restore everything to default, but it should let you boot.

You'll want to keep an eye on your temperatures. Make sure they never exceed 50C, and try to keep them below 45C.

If the overclock is somewhat stable, but still gives you some errors on Windows loadup or in the BIOS, you can boost the voltage, but then keep an even closer eye on the temps as that will raise heat.

Also, you might reach a point at which some of your PCI/AGP cards may not work. Most cards can handle up to a 40MHz PCI frequency well, but after that, start to flake out. Be especially careful if you're using a NIC, as these are known to be very persnickety about high PCI speeds.

G'luck, and report back with your max. speed and/or any problems you may have!

Thanks for the heads up. But my bios has the ability to select processor freq. Do I leave it at 700mhz and still adjust the FSB or do I selct 900 or 1ghz and adjust the FSB??? Help....

since you're going to overclock, change "700 MHz" to "Manual" in the BIOS. On the next line should be a ratio, reading something like "100:100:33". This you should leave alone for now... The following line is the one we're interested in. Use that line (which should look like "100/100/33" - note the slashes) to adjust your speed. Everyone here advises that you take baby steps at a time (i.e., don't jump right to 130/130/40 or whatever). So select, maybe 105/105/34 at first, and then maybe try going in steps of 2 MHz until you encounter stability problems. At that point, provided temperatures are OK and you're feeling brave, you can try increasing the voltage a step (usually .05 more). Repeat steps 2-3, serve chilled in a glass, enjoy!

Last edited:
Oh yeah, me forgets... I've owned Abit waaaaaaaaay too long... but I did own that board some time ago and if I remember correctly, if you mess with the processor frequency selector thingy, you are upping the FSB automatically. Just don't use the multiplier and you're set. And yes, leave the ratios alone for now.

Back