• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie Overclock Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ishakir

Hello,

Ok, some of you are going to laugh but here it goes. I currently have a locked 2400 running on a kt333 board (Epox 8k5a2+) with Corsair PC2700 Ram (512mb), 80GB Special Edition WD HD, etc etc. (In sig).

Ok I am able to run at:
144x15 @1.725v giving me 2160Mhz
140x15 @ STOCK (1.625v) giving me 2111Mhz

If I was to do 166 x 13, which is also around 2111MHz, would I need to up the voltage or will I be able to attain this speed at stock as I did when I had it set at 140x15? Question being, does a higher fsb require more voltage even though the end clockspeed will be the same? An explanation would be great as I am new to your world :)

I also hear that increased voltage puts more stress on the cpu shortening its life. Now I don't plan on keeping this forever but 2 years would be nice :)

Thanks a lot
-Ish-:beer:

maxima88

I really don't think you need to increase the vcore based on the multi/fsb combination. If it's stable at 2111mhz, then it should be stable at any fsb/multi combo so long as your RAM can handle it.
You might need to increase the voltage to your RAM if you run into some problems at higher RAM speeds.

Running your vcore at 2v or below shouldn't really have too much of an effect on the cpu lifespan as long as you keep it cool and don't overheat it.
In regards to the shortening of a cpu's life span by

OP
I

Ishakir

At any fsb greater than 146, I get no output to screen. I see HDD lights and stuff but no display.

1) Does this mean that my wonderful eVGA GeForce2 MX 400 is cheesing out on me? Or does the problem lie in undervolted RAM?

2) What is a good SAFE voltage range to stay in with air cooling, no ram heat spreader or any RAM cooling for my Corsair pc2700 RAM?

Thanks again
-Ish-

;)

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
2.5-2.8v is generly safe on ram.default is 2.5 btw but 2.8 is still safe
try relaxing the ram settings to c2.5 also.im not sure what the cas is rated on your sticks. if its cas2 and wont do it @166 it may have a problem. unless its rated c2.5.

i dont think its the video. i think you might need to do the unlock to use the 13 multi. thats why you get the no boot.but im not sure as i dont own a epox mobo.

OP
I

Ishakir

Hello again,

Not quite sure why, but I cant post with any multi besides 15 at stock voltage. I tried 145 x 14 (2030MHx) just for kicks even though its only a 30MHz oc, no post. I see hdd lights and stuff but no display. Not quite sure what's going on, is this because my 2400 is locked? Do I need to unlock it to access any other multies or is something else wrong?

Thanks
-Ish-

RangerJoe

All that is Man!
yea, you have to unlock the chip before you change the multiplier...its very simple on tbreds

btw, 166x13 should work at stock voltage...seeing as how its only a 100mhz overlock or so...

OP
I

Ishakir

RangerJoe said:
yea, you have to unlock the chip before you change the multiplier...its very simple on tbreds

btw, 166x13 should work at stock voltage...seeing as how its only a 100mhz overlock or so...

ah ok, I got it...

That's why no other multies work, cuz my chip is currently locked. Also, I shouldn't have access the 13x since its, again, locked.

Guess I either gotta unlock it, or buy a kt400/nForce2.
I'm really very scared to unlock it - rofl...

Thanks to everyone for their help :)
-Ish-