• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newbie p4 help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gorilly

hi all,

being a student im too poor to afford a new processor to go along with all the new bits i have got recently... (DFI LanParty PRO875B, HIS9800pro ICEQ, Coolermaster aero4, a ram sink, new case, uv lights, games etc). My next buy is going to be some kingston ram (my bro works there so i get it cchheeaapp and my current RAM is 1X256MB 266Mhz BUDGET RAM).

anyway i want to overclock my old P4 2Ghz(100X4FSB), not to a stupidly high speed but just something to give me a stable boost.

so i started playing around with it tonight.

So far i have 2.31Ghz but making the FSB 115X4, i then lost my sound but all was fixed after changing something to 66/33. i have noticed my ram freq has changed now to 305mhz.... is this safe? will my budget ram give up? i was under the impression that even though the front side bus speed has changed the ram would still run at its factory speed?

i tested my processor for half an hour with 'CPU Stability Test Copyright 1999-2000 Jouni Vuorio.' and it said no errors but i have noticed windows explorer has started crashing... or maybe i have picked up some spyware.. anyway

well if anyone has any suggestions id be greatful.

thanks for any help and remember this is my first try!

ohh and its running at just under 40deg C, whats the norm temp for a old p4?

Foxie3a

Normal Member
Temperatures... Dont look at idle temps, look at full load temps.

FSB = The speed in which the processor communicates to the northbridge, and then the RAM. So all three of those are being overclocked, along with your PCI and AGP busses.

Some motherboards, like my P4P800 have locks so that you can run the PCI and AGP at stock speeds, while still increasing the FSB.

You'll definately want to have those locks on. Run your PCI at 33mhz, and your AGP at 66mhz.

If anything starts crashing your probably in trouble with stability. Download, and run PRime95, that's what I trust to tell me if I'm stable or not. I like being stable for 12+ hours on it. If it doesn't even last a minute, then back down your OC, or make other changes.

I highly recommend that you do some reading here in the forums about overclocking. Good luck, and welcome to the forums. :)

Sjaak

The board is capable of 200FSB, so thats giving you plenty room. The CPU will be capable of at least 150fsb (3Ghz), so the ram is holding you back here. I suggest you get 2x256MB of cheap ddr400, for dual channel. That will only leave your CPU as a bottleneck.

My old 2.0A topped at 3.8Ghz, almost 200fsb.

batboy

Senior Moment
Yeah, yopu discovered that sound and harddrive controllers and PCI cards will get too far out of spec unless you lock the AGP/PCI to 66/33. Raising FSB will also raise the memory frequency. There are memory ratios to deal with that though. The DDR305 is fine if you have PC2700 which is rated for DDR333. But, like was said, you probably need new RAM eventually, so get two sticks of PC3200 so you have an upgrade path.

OP
gorilly

gorilly

thanks for the help lads,

do i need to buy specific dual channel ram or will any two identical (speed and size) sticks work as dual channel?

Sjaak

gorilly said:
thanks for the help lads,

do i need to buy specific dual channel ram or will any two identical (speed and size) sticks work as dual channel?

2 identical sticks will work. 'dual channel optimized' kits are sold, but thats usually expensive (faster / lower latency) ram. also, you dont need kingston or corsair. just cheap noname ram will do

hUMANbEATbOX

Contributing Member
Sjaak said:
The CPU will be capable of at least 150fsb (3Ghz), so the ram is holding you back here.

he didn't say that it was a northwood. it could be a willie. mine did 120fsb for 2.4 only.

batboy

Senior Moment
I assumed it was a Northwood, since it's extremely rare for a Willamette to go higher than 2.2 gig.

Two identical sticks of RAM will work just fine. Dual channel kits are sold with the promise they are guaranteed to be perfectly matched. I've tried both way and never noticed much difference.

While I agree there is no need to get expensive RAM, I'm not sure I agree with just getting the cheapest generic noname stuff. If you get good RAM then you can use it if you ever upgrade. Kingston Value RAM is worth looking at. Before you buy something, post your options in the memory section to find out if anyone has used it and what their results were.

Lots of the B0 stepping Northwood 2.0A would only do 2.4 to 2.6 gig on average. Your mileage may vary. I had one very early 2.0A that would only do about 2.5 gig and then I had another C1 stepping 2.0A later on that did 3.4 gig.

OP
gorilly

gorilly

thanks again for the help

surely performance ram is better for games such as joint opps?
might get some kingston value, will have to see how much my bro can get it for. 1gb (512x2) of 400mhz in the dual slots sound good?

batboy

Senior Moment
Sounds good. With your 2.0A, if you to really luck out and were able to somehow hit 150 FSB (3 gig), then that PC3200 RAM would be perfectly in DDR400 spec using the 3:4 memory ratio. One gig of RAM will really future proof your system too or give you a good upgrade option later. There are other RAM brands that might be better than the Kingston Value. I just used that as an example since I knew it was readily available and not too expensive. Some people here on the forum have had exceptional luck overclocking the Kingston Value RAM that has Hynix chips.

orionzbelt1

getting cheap ram oh yeah do that if you want sabilitie (NOT) Personally i would get a couple of matched pairs at least you know when you oc that you havent wasted time and money on your cheap budget ram. Corsiar or OCZ are decent expecially when you get matched pairs

Sjaak

he doesnt want to spend a fortune, and he doesnt need the speed cuz his cpu is only 100fsb...

@ batboy

the ram will be running dual channel, so its way overkilling the cpu (2xddr400 = 800, cpu is only 400 stock, overclocked as you said only 600) so theres no need for a memory divider

batboy

Senior Moment
With a 400 bus (100 FSB) CPU, you still will want to use a memory divider to run the RAM faster than FSB. There is no such thing as too much memory bandwidth in my opinion. Like I said in my previous post, using the 3:4 ratio will maximize PC3200 RAM at 150 FSB. PC4000 is way overkill and will use more relaxed timings.