• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newbie peltier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jibby

I need to know how many watts i need in a pelt for my proc. also what does it need to cool it? ive got a w/cing setup currrently so i could water-cool it. i read some articles on how to insulate so im good there. i also need to know what is the cheapest psu i could use to run a pelt.

Last edited:
i think you would see the best benefit from a 230watt peltier. you shouldnt be looking for a cheap psu, if it fails your peltier becomes a great insulator. you need to be looking for a psu with at least 25 amps on the 12v rail.

you should also look into doing some modifications to the psu for best performance. first, replacing all the 12v wires with a positive and negative line composed of 10-12 gauge wire. ill try to post a link to setting up an additional psu to be triggered by your primary psu, so you can turn on your comp normally.

ive also heard people talking about needing to put a load on the 5v rail for the psu to function properly, so a resistor or fan or something on the 5v rail may be necessary.

ive been wanting to do that for awhile, but realizing that electrcity costs 12 cents a kwh where i live, its not really worth it for me due to the inefficiency of it. of course, its really not that inefficient, so if you live somewhere that has cheaper electricity, its worth the savings.

gusgizmo said:
ive been wanting to do that for awhile, but realizing that electrcity costs 12 cents a kwh where i live, its not really worth it for me due to the inefficiency of it. of course, its really not that inefficient, so if you live somewhere that has cheaper electricity, its worth the savings.

Heh, peltiers are definately inefficient... spending 226 watts to remove about 100 watts of heat...

i dont think its that bad in power
226w can use meanwell which says its 86% efficient ie uses 262w
in asutralia 73w is 1cent an hour ie 3.6cents an hour
so if i run this for 27hours it will cost $1

i think thats cheap, dont quote me on this know my maths may be wronge.

Last edited:
Back