• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie question :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daniel F

Registered
Hello, i am a newbie to the overclocking world :) and i have an ASUS P3V133 motherboard, and the cpu sits on a card (dunno what it is called) that sticks out of the motherboard. SO what i am trying to get at is.... since i am able to stick a heatsink and fan combo on both sides of the cpu, should i? would it do anything to help keep it cool? Please reply with any tips.. Thanks

Daniel

If I get you right, you would like to to stick a second HSF (heat sink/fan) to the the back of your CPU daughtercard. Well, as I imagine it, the second heat sink will be in contact of the daughtercard's "PCB", which is not a good heat conductor. To improve cooling, a good heatsink/fan like an alpha or a globalwin alone or in combination with a peltier. In a nice COOL well ventilated case would be a better performance improvement.

But maybe I didn't understand want you meant, perhaps some further explanation of your setting/plan or some picts would help us help you...

Keep going...

OK, you're on a slotket (the daughtercard), and appear to have room for something like an Alpha PEP66, which is designed for these situations. Exactly what processor do you have? Also, I think I'm seeing sticks in your first two DIMM slots. Are all three full? If not, you might be able to go to slots 2 and 3 and give yourself a little wiggle room with the HSF.

And as Ammethyl said, you don't need to try to cool the back of the slotket, only the side with the processor. What kind of slotket is it, by the way? I see jumpers.

huh?

hehehe, like i said, im sorta new :) so, i should try and cool the back? would cooling the back do any benifit? um i have a celeron 466, i dont know how to find out anymore info about my processor though... i would really like some tips thanks. ( and whats a jumper :)

Thanks
Daniel

oh, and 1 more thing. The slotkey is what the processor is sitting on right? Well, the slotkey (i think) is designed for the pentium 2 chipset, or celeron. And i have 1 stick of 128 megs of ram, so i guess i could move that to the back for more room :)

Daniel

A jumper is a group of prongs that can be connected using a plastic clip. Setting the clip in different positions does different things. Jumpers are found all over the motherboard and on cdrom drives and other such things. Cooling the back of the card will not do much. Touch it while its running. Unless its hot, which it probably isn't, why bother? It sounds to me like you should do some more research before you get into overclocking. Read the overclocking guide on this page. Check out pages like tomshardware and extremeoverclocking as well to get a real good idea as to what your getting into. I was in your shoes not too long ago and thanks to some real good guides I was able to significantly improve my systems performance. Rember those stupid TV commerercials "The more you read the more you know."

Yes, your Celeron fits into the slotket on the side with the fan attached. You only need a fan on that side. You do not need to cool the back of the slotket. Your motherboard is based on a slot design, and your processor is a socket design. The slotket is serving as an adapter.

In addition, many slotkets have jumpers to allow you to change the voltage and FSB. The jumpers are the blue plastic things in a row on your slotket. They are actually small wire contacts that are connected in different combinations by sliding the small, metal-lined blue plastic pieces over them. Don't worry about any of that right now.

We will definitely be able to get you up and running and having fun with all of this; the Celeron is a good chip; but you need to do something first (if you haven't already). Go to the first page of the site, and read up in the beginner's guides, especially the ones on motherboards, installing HSF's, and of course, overclocking. Ed does a great job of summarizing a lot of information in a few good pages. Then come on back and we'll see what we can do for you.

Hey guys thanks for the help, well, now i have ordered a gorb, and i thought while i was waiting i might just overclock my cpu just a tad to give it a try.

I rearrange the jumpers so the power would go up from 2.0v to 2.05 and then to 2.1v, and the heatsink combo i originally had seems to be coping fine. So then i look through the BIOS to start cranking up the FSB, and i looked all through the BIOS and i could find the freakin settings for the FSB! Where can i find it? is there a newer version of BIOS that i can d/l for my mobo? i have an ASUS P3V 133. Please help out guys!

Daniel

Easy there, my friend. In the first place, it's generally better to begin an overclock with FSB settings, then ease up the core voltage as necessary to improve stability. Increasing the voltage increases heat, so doing it unnecessarily is working against yourself.

You don't need a BIOS upgrade, at least not for this. Your FSB speed and ratio adjustments are on the board as jumpers. I learned this by reading the .pdf of your motherboard's manual on the ASUS website. I think that the next thing you need to do is read your motherboard manual. Very carefully. Sleep with it under your pillow at night. Seriously, the information you need about the mechanics of what you want to do is in there, but it needs to be looked at and learned.

By the way, the settings for your core voltage are, in fact, in the BIOS. Change whatever jumper you set for that back to default, or auto if that is an option. I would also look at the jumper settings on your slotket and have everything there set to auto until you can try your options from the motherboard.

Sorry for the long-winded lecture, but if you want to overclock, this is the way to go about it. Start with a good command of the mechanics of changing the settings for your particular hardware (read your mobo manual!), and then proceed SLOWLY. Really. Baby steps. Give your processor time to settle in at each increase, and you will be rewarded with a more stable system, and possibly a better overclock in the long run.

If anyone out there has specific experience with this processor and motherboard, jump on in.

Thanks for all your help guys! Well, i have taken all your advice, and in ONE day, i have manages to do this much: Buy a Gorb, and install it while almost snapping my processor in half :) buy 2 fans for extra cooling: one to help blow hot air out of the case, and i cut a hole in the side of my case to blow air onto my video card and my processor. There was already a fan inside to blow air into the case.

If you want some pics of my finished result, just ask me to post it. Thanks for all your help, and i will send some pics soon!

Daniel

My, you have been busy! By all means, give us some pics. I would also be curious about what fans you used, etc... That sounds like a good cooling arrangement overall. Give us some idle and load temps, also, if you don't mind.

Back