• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aces High

Registered
Whats Up Overclockers,

On a system thats stable with good temps how often do you have to
clean and reapply thermal grease?Also,reguarding fans,whats the for-
mula to determin cfm?I recently picked up a couple of Toyo 120mm
12v 60amp fans and was wondering what there cfm(whatever that is)is.
I recently ran across an article about chipset lapping.I havent read
anything or seen anything about this before,any thoughts?Thanx alot
bros I know I post alot of questions but everybody starts somewhere.
I hope thats cool.Thanx.http://www.ocaddiction.com/articles/howto/lapping/

CFM=Cubic Feet per Minute of airflow. If the reseller doesn't post this info, then you could try the manufacturer's website. It's not really a result of formulation, it's more of a test result from actual measurement with special equipment.

Personally, I would never lap a processor, but by all means lap that heatsink! Set up using a flat surface....you don't really need an incredible polish job, you just want to make the bottom of the heatsink flat as can be so it has the most surface contact with the core of the processor. I just use 600 grit wet sanding paper on a piece of glass, but a decent counter-top would work too.

Keep the questions coming, And Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to the forums! Once you apply thermal grease you don't have to reaply unless you take the heatsink off the cpu. There is no real formula to measure cfm, you usually need a special machine that does that, and las but least lapping, sometimes it helps sometimes it doesn't, on 1 of my heatsinks it lowered the temps about 4 degress, on my waterblock it lowered the temps about 1.... it does take some time to get the mirror finish but it usually worth it.

*edit* whoa! i didn't relize that was lapping a chipset... i would never do that.

I'd run it straight from the radiator to the cpu, and then to the pump/res. The water would be at it's coldest when leaving the radiator.

Back