• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Starfire_MK2

My roommate and I are both connected to Shaw@Home (Cable) through a hub. He's running WinXP Home and I've got XP Pro. The wierd thing is I can see his shared folder, and access his files from my comp. He can see my comp as well, but whenever he tries to access any of my files, he gets an error saying the drive or network is unavialible. I've disabled the firewall on both systems, but he still gets the same error. Any thoughts?

Ok, I've got that problem fixed; he can now access files in the Shared doucments folder. New question: why can't I set up a shortcut in that folder to another location on the hard-drive? I don't want to move 1/2 gig from one of my partitions over to this Shared Folder, I just want the shortcut in the folder to the other location. Any ideas? :rolleyes:

If you're sure you aren't going to get hacked from the outside (meaning the Internet), then right click your C drive, and share the entire drive by enabling Sharing for allowed users you specify on that drive. Then your friend should see the C drive in his Network Places.

An alternate way is to enable sharing on just the folders you want shared. Make the sharing recursive for all files and folders in those shared directories. Also, make sure the users on both computers have priveleges to share the files, or you will be able to see them but not touch them. One way to get around this is to set the 'everyone' (or is it everybody) user to have full control of the shared directory.

I would shy away from sharing "C" tho. Wouldn't want to accidentally write over a system file by mistake. :D

In terms of sharing you really only want to share what you have to, I would never share your "C:" or windows directory. That's just plain sucide. Why put shortcut for the 1/2 gig dir if you can just share it with a password? jsut a thought

Back