• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NewCastle Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ColdFlare

Hey guys, I just got a new NewCastle cpu 3200+. I use to have a 3200+ Clawhammer that only overclocked to 2.4ghz max and that wasn't very stable so I decided to go the newcastle route.

However my temps seemed to have changed a lot. The clawhammer I use to run ran at full load with 1.75volts at 38-40c with water cooling and an ambient temperature of 30c.

The newcastle however runs at full load of 50C with an ambient temperature of 30c. Same voltage on both cpus. Same cooling. I've redone the contact between the NewCastle and my TDX Block numerous times. The temps however remain the same.

The clawhammer was ran at 2.4ghz and the newcastle runs at 2.6ghz to match the clawhammer performance.

The only difference between chip installations is that with the clawhammer I ran it on Stock Cooler for 2 days and the TIM on it completely melted on it. With the newcastle however I just ran it with AS5 and never touched the Stock cooler.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to lower my temps it would be greatly appreciated. I can not afford a phase change system tho. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Coolest

IIRC some motherboards don't report the correct temprature when it comes to the NC. and 50C is not too bad, also remember that you're running 200MHz faster.

OP
C

ColdFlare

The Coolest said:
IIRC some motherboards don't report the correct temprature when it comes to the NC. and 50C is not too bad, also remember that you're running 200MHz faster.

Yup, but 10c more for 200mhz is a lot hotter. Even on default speeds the newcastle is hotter than the clawhammer.

Any more input would be greatly appreciated.