• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg and Their "Legendary" Customer Service

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok...let's try this once more. Look closely at the stickers, and you can clearly see that the stickers aren't attached to anything else...they're just stickers. There is no double protective film. For those who still think that the existing protective film should be taken off, please look around the buttons on this *stock photo* taken from Meizu's site:

m6pic_07.jpg

Clearly they would not leave on a temporary protective film on for stock photos. Just as clearly, these players could not have sustained this type of damage while still in the boxes (the boxes were mint, there was no dirt or grit inside...). SO, these are used/returned players, Newegg screwed up, and based on the underwhelming response from any customer service rep, they just don't care.

YES, I would have been willing to charge my CC again (pending return of damaged goods) if they had given me overnight shipping for free. YES, UPS does deliver on Saturday. Newegg loses nothing except for a few bucks in shipping. Did they do that? NO! They had an easy option but just don't care enough to keep my business. Now, they lose $275 + return shipping, and all of my future business.

Again, the pictures you took show a tab CLEARLY stating to remove. In the fine print, it says there it a layer of thin protective film (which I know is there from reading multiple reviews of the player). However, the first thing it says is "Please peel off this mask before application" on a tag. In that stock photo you just posted, I see no tabs saying "please remove".

edit: I do see that those tabs are separate stickers now.

Here's a quick question, did you receive the players sealed from factory or OEM? Those look like they're in plain cardboard boxes, which normally aren't shipped with factory players.

It sounds like you are just nitpicking here. Newegg offered to send you a replacement on the spot free of charge, and you go on about how it isn't overnight shipping? Please, many companies won't even agree to any replacement unless you provide the shipment box, UPC, and who knows what.

And as already mentioned, you haven't even peeled the tab with the film from looking at your pictures. Instead of complaining why don't you rip off that tab first and take another picture. If it is truely scratched up than tell your brother the situation and give him the mp3 player when it arrives in a few days. geez..:confused:

It sounds like you are just nitpicking here. Newegg offered to send you a replacement on the spot free of charge, and you go on about how it isn't overnight shipping? Please, many companies won't even agree to any replacement unless you provide the shipment box, UPC, and who knows what.

And as already mentioned, you haven't even peeled the tab with the film from looking at your pictures. Instead of complaining why don't you rip off that tab first and take another picture. If it is truely scratched up than tell your brother the situation and give him the mp3 player when it arrives in a few days. geez..:confused:

If they offered 25$ off, then surely they can offer overnight shipping. And for the eleventh time, the tab is not attached to the film. The player itself is scratched.

If they offered 25$ off, then surely they can offer overnight shipping. And for the eleventh time, the tab is not attached to the film. The player itself is scratched.

How is it the player is scratched if there is a film over it that hasn't been removed?

How is it the player is scratched if there is a film over it that hasn't been removed?
I am confused on that as well, I can see the file (its the milky color), I don't see any damage on the player as of yet ;)

Thing is, if the film is actually scratched, then he has a reason to complain... However, if he got the box with a factory seal then it's not newegg's fault by any means.

And I agree with ancalime.

Guys, I've said my piece. I'm not sure how I can explain it any more clearly. Many thanks to Corbec for posting this up; unfortunately the Newegg customer service rep seems to be asleep at the desk.

You know. newegg's customer service has seemed to go a bit downhill recently. Previously, I had a video card that went bad and was out of warranty by them, and I was having issues getting XFX to RMA it. Newegg had no problem taking care of it for me, mind you I was about 1-2 months out of warranty. I got a 500gb samsung drive recently, I had it for a month and it went bad. I was 1 day out of warranty, and every rep I spoke with obsolutely refused to RMA it, and one even hung up on me.

Ok...let's try this once more. Look closely at the stickers, and you can clearly see that the stickers aren't attached to anything else...they're just stickers. There is no double protective film. For those who still think that the existing protective film should be taken off, please look around the buttons on this *stock photo* taken from Meizu's site:

m6pic_07.jpg

Clearly they would not leave on a temporary protective film on for stock photos. Just as clearly, these players could not have sustained this type of damage while still in the boxes (the boxes were mint, there was no dirt or grit inside...). SO, these are used/returned players, Newegg screwed up, and based on the underwhelming response from any customer service rep, they just don't care.

YES, I would have been willing to charge my CC again (pending return of damaged goods) if they had given me overnight shipping for free. YES, UPS does deliver on Saturday. Newegg loses nothing except for a few bucks in shipping. Did they do that? NO! They had an easy option but just don't care enough to keep my business. Now, they lose $275 + return shipping, and all of my future business.

I don't see the same film on this picture as is on in the other pictures. And yes, as you said, the sticker in the first picture says do not peel the film off. The very same sticker ALSO says to peel it off lol. You are seeing a bit of Engrish there where it is telling you to do two opposite things. I am telling you, at least on the backof the player that film is supposed to come off of there. Choose not to remove it if you wish, but I am sure that those players are both in fine shape and are in fact brand new and not used as you seem to believe.

I don't understand there is so much going back and forth here. You received damaged products, It happens. They offered you refund and 25 dollar credit. Just take it. Don't really know why its a big deal. I understand ur frustration, but still man. They didn't give you overnight shipping oh well. I haven't had a single problem with newegg so , i will continue to buy from them. if you decide not to then thats ur prerogative.

You received damaged products, It happens. They offered you refund and 25 dollar credit. Just take it.

Did you miss the part where it said
The customer service rep also said that if I accepted the $25 credit in exchange for them being physically damaged, that if I ever RMA'd them in the future, my warranty would be void because I had gotten a discount for damaged merchandise.
Gee, $25 and I get to lose my warranty! What a deal!

The film isn't supposed to be removed. Read the sticker.

I don't see the same film on this picture as is on in the other pictures. And yes, as you said, the sticker in the first picture says do not peel the film off. The very same sticker ALSO says to peel it off lol. You are seeing a bit of Engrish there where it is telling you to do two opposite things. I am telling you, at least on the backof the player that film is supposed to come off of there. Choose not to remove it if you wish, but I am sure that those players are both in fine shape and are in fact brand new and not used as you seem to believe.

I believe the sticker says to peel the STICKER off, but not the protective film. Regardless, he should not have received a product that looks like its been rubbed against concrete.

As I understand it, Newegg only offered you that $25 credit AFTER your friend refused to accept their replacement offer. Right there Newegg has already done their part, they took responsibility for their "damaged" item. They are in no way obligated to grant you overnight shipping seeing as how you only paid for 2 day shipping. Perhaps negotiating a 2 day replacement would have been more reasonable.

As I understand it, Newegg only offered you that $25 credit AFTER your friend refused to accept their replacement offer. Right there Newegg has already done their part, they took responsibility for their "damaged" item. They are in no way obligated to grant you overnight shipping seeing as how you only paid for 2 day shipping. Perhaps negotiating a 2 day replacement would have been more reasonable.

3-5 business days they say

I said to attempt to negotiate one instead of expecting overnight shipping. Whether or not they give it to you is up to them. 3-5 days shipping is pretty good for an on the spot return to me, perhaps you have been a bit spoiled.

I have to agree here. I know for the company that I'm involved with, we would eat the overnight shipping charge since it was OUR mistake. Plus I'm sure Newegg gets the same overnight shipping discounts from UPS and Fedex that we do, as our company doesn't ship anywhere near the volume they do (we're mostly retail).

If the customer, or nobody in particular is at fault, then it's reasonable to compromise and work out a mutually beneficial arrangement with the customer to fulfill their needs. Once the fault is resting entirely upon you (the company), then it's time to go that extra step and kill the mistake with graciousness towards the customer's situation. Overnighting those MP3 players wouldn't have even been $25.

It all comes down to accountability. Once you as a company is entirely responsible for a mistake, then you have to own it and do whatever it takes within reason to correct it. Since they're offering a $25 discount, it would've been applicable to instead put that discount towards an overnight shipping charge. Find your window of compensation and do whatever you can within it to the customer's satisfaction.

i couldnt agree more.it would have been gravy for the egg to rectify this issue.it doesnt make sense that they wouldnt...

While this doesn't directly affect me, and I'll still get my refund, I feel compelled to post this up because it's yet another example of Newegg shirking responsibility and passing the buck. I got my RMA emails today:

(55-625-003) (MP3 DE MEIZU MINI PLY 4GB MEIZU BLK) (Quantity: 1 )
RMAReason: Carrier Damage
(55-625-005) (MP4 DANE-ELEC MEIZU DAM408MZ2 8GB R) (Quantity: 1 )
RMAReason: Carrier Damage

This WAS NOT carrier damage! The shipping box had one very minor crease and the retail boxes for the players were PERFECT. Yet they pin it on UPS anyways: "UPS will reimburse Newegg for the damaged item; therefore the item now belongs to UPS. Once the claim is closed, UPS will contact you directly and pick up the damaged item."

So I wrote back: "Just to let you know, these items weren't damaged in shipping. The boxes are absolutely perfect. I'm not sure if it's explicitly clear from my file or phone logs with **Name omitted**, but you shipped me USED goods. I'm not sure what kind of relationship you have with UPS but if this was a personal claim they'd take one look at the perfect box and reject the claim on the spot."

They don't want to take the loss, and I can understand that, but this is just unethical.

You know. newegg's customer service has seemed to go a bit downhill recently. Previously, I had a video card that went bad and was out of warranty by them, and I was having issues getting XFX to RMA it. Newegg had no problem taking care of it for me, mind you I was about 1-2 months out of warranty. I got a 500gb samsung drive recently, I had it for a month and it went bad. I was 1 day out of warranty, and every rep I spoke with obsolutely refused to RMA it, and one even hung up on me.

possibly because they couldn't rma it themselves and sell it as a refurb / open box item.

OK Ben, I have seen this happen before. Not with newegg but there is a first time for everything.

Some dishonest person decided to get a free upgrade on his old player. So he ordered what amounts to a replacement and then told newegg that hew changed his mind or found it somewhere else for less money and he wants to return it unopened. What he really returned was the old player and he kept the new one.

Where newegg messed up was in not checking the order as it came back. They probably thought that they still had unopened merchandise and they restocked it as such. Then you bought it and the saga played out as we know that it did. I am really sorry to hear that you did not have a great gift for when you wanted it. I am sure that your brother understands that you did everything that you could to get it to him though.

As far as the “carrier damage” thing goes, why do you even care? The person who processed your RMA probably has a screen with just a few options to pick from and that was the best match. Honestly, who would even think to put “we got scammed by the previous customer” into the RMA interface? If UPS wants to fuss over the matter, then that it their problem.

Back