• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg Quality Concern???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
When I order my parts, I order from either Newegg or Amazon. Lately, I have been ordering from Amazon as:

1. The prices are the same or better
2. I am an Amazon Prime member, and can often get same day shipping for free...if not, next day shipping for free

Lately, I have had to RMA some of my components. Interesting thing...I am only having to RMA items that come from Newegg...items from Amazon have no issue.

Here is a list what went bad from Newegg:

1. (1) Cooler Master Jetflo 120 fan...started whining and bucking...just tossed in trash
2. (1) Corsair H110i GTX...pump went bad (Corsair customer support is awesome)
3. (1) TP-Link UH700 USB 3.0 hub (couldn't sustain high speed links...would constantly drop connected devices at random)...just tossed in trash
4. (1) Vantec USB 3.0 5.25" SATA drive enclosure (just stopped powering on...Vantec customer support sucks)
5. (1) GeIL Super Luce 16 GB (4x4GB) DDR4 RAM (one day, motherboard wouldn't recognize RAM)...GeIL technical support is SLOWWWWWWWWWWW (took 14 days to respond to my initial request...promising 2 week turn around...a month...really???)

All of the Newegg items went bad 45 to 90 days after I received...outside of the Newegg return window...and having to work directly with manufacturer RMA.

Do other folks see this same trend...or am I just unlucky with Newegg?????

trents

I order a lot of stuff from both Egg and Amazon. I have not noticed any particular quality issues with NewEgg purchases. Keep in mind, you would need to be talking about the same products ordered from both companies in order to make a good case for one or the other sending you inferior components. I find their prices to be very similar except for the fact that I live in WA state and Amazon is headquartered in Seattle. So that means I have to pay taxes on anything I get from Amazon and that often causes items I buy from them to be a little more expensive than the same thing at Egg. I, too, am an Amazon Prime member and I like the fast shipping. I will pay a little extra because of that sometimes. And it's so easy to return things at Amazon. Perhaps the main reason I still buy a lot of stuff at Egg is that so often they have nice rebates on things I regularly purchase like PSUs. Amazon doesn't offer rebates that I can tell.

OP
JrClocker

JrClocker

Yeah - I get that I would have to buy the same part from both to make a case...not trying to make an official one. Plus I would have to by many to make the data statistically valid.

It's just half of the stuff I have ordered from Newegg has gone bad. None from Amazon.

I wanted to ask the members here to see if it's just my bad luck, or if others have seen the same thing.

If it's my luck, I'll start buying more lottery tickets! :thup:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
How are these failures newegg issues? Those failure could have happened from any etailer.

I wouldnt blame newegg. Just bad luck man.. :)

Witchdoctor

I agree, no difference they pull it out a a warehouse and ship it.

What I have noticed is their shipping has changed significantly.
This could be an issue if their new carrier is careless with their shipments and actually destroying parts in the shipment process

I know they are way slower than they used to be

DHL & FedEx = FAIL IMO

OP
JrClocker

JrClocker

Well...

Newegg could be storing things in a location that is not climate controlled...too hot or too cold.

Newegg could be "less than gentle" with their products.

Newegg could be getting parts that don't come directly from the OEM...and the OEM could be doing the two above.

Shrug...don't know. Like I said, it's just alarming to see different items from different manufacturers going bad...and all purchased from the same distributor.

I agree FedEx is a total fail...my company only ships FedEx now if the customer requests it.

Maybe it's a statistical "blip" centered around me! I guess I'll start buying more lottery tickets!

trents

Concerning shipping and carriers, NewEgg probably is trying to cut costs in that sector. Feeling the pinch from the customer base moving over to Amazon, I'm guessing.

There are still some things that I like better at Egg than at Amazon. One I already mentioned and that is rebates. The other is that Egg has more complete descriptions on their computer components than does Amazon.

Joe88

and the egg is tax free for me
I didnt really feel like paying over $100 in taxes if I bought stuff at amazon (amazon didnt even have some of the things)
and the promo codes discounts, rebates, and such are better on newegg

SPL Tech

I ordered four laptops from Newegg. Not four at once, four separate orders of one laptop. ALL the orders were canceled the day after. I ordered a laptop, next day "sorry, we're out of stock." Go order another one, same thing. Order another, again same thing. After the fourth time I said F Newegg, if they cant keep their flippin' website stock info up to date, I am ordering elsewhere.

Ended up buying the same laptop on eBay for half the price. Thank's Newegg for forcing me to eBay, it saved me money. In short, Newegg sucks. Their prices can be beat.

Joe88

usually it says certified retailer, other times it only says specific retailer(s)

I've tried getting rebates from amazon and it always ended in failure (3 times)
and the rebates from newegg always come through (I think like 12 rebates I have done in the last 8 years or so)

Joe88

yes but they usually only have a special rebate if your purchase the item through newegg
here was a recent phanteks rebate I did

t_zpsofmhalmj.jpg~original

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Correct...quite normal. All you need is a proof of purchase from them. The rest is up to the manufacturer. You send themail rebates to them, not newegg or amazon for fullfilment. ;)

It's not amazon's fault or newegg it didn't get fullfilled.