• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg refurb RMA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Devedander

So I ordered a IDEQ 200n from newegg refurb because I have always had good experiences with newegg and their products, but this is my first refurb purchase. I read the disclaimer about other companies being responsible for quality of refurbs, but it has a 14 day warranty.

So I order and I get it and it is indeed void of all extra parts, but I don't care, was expecting that. I get it all setup... and the thing is crapping out on me. The onboard video simply fails at any setting doing anything. I can make it work ok if I put in my own video card, but without it, even at 100FSB and everyting at loaded defaults it will just reboot in windows after a while. Also the jclck1 jumper does not work (12, 23 or wide open, no difference). I then read that many peopel feel newegg simply turns around RMA products without so much as testing them... I look at my box, I see only one set of tape marks, the set holding it together when I got it, no residue from old tape marks which should be there from previous shipping....

Regardless of whether it was actually refurbed or not, it doesn't work. The item clearly stated no refunds, exchange for same item only. I don't really want to exchange it and pay shipping for another possibly crapped out item, but I got myself into this mess. So I email them and ask what I should do to make sure I do it all right. They say refurbs are not exchangeable, only refundable....

WTF?

So I go to see about setting up a refund, and guess what? 15% restocking fee applies? So it's weekend, and I have to wait till monday to call them and talk to someone about this, which bumbs me because I wanted to have my new computer for thsi weekend, then I have a job interview on monday and worrying about my computer is not what I need during that.

So I wanted your advice and ideas on what I should do, and what I should ask for. I am dreading getting a bad newegg rep that screws me into keeping this broken computer, so I appreciate any help or ideas.

Thanks!

Ramlaen

If you want a refund, I think you can fill out the RMA form and choose refund or repair as your option. They'll help you out either way.

Aktunka

If you call Newegg, or email them and explain your situation, they will take care of you. Now, if you just send in an RMA request and just want to refund it, there is no reason why you should not expect to get the 15% restocking fee, but if it is actually a non working unit and they tell you that they won't exchange it then they probably will not charge the restocking fee. But it is in their own best interests to put the restocking fee as if it applies to everything, that way they have the latitude to waive the charge and give you a better deal whenever they want to. If you ever have a problem with something, or just want to return it to Newegg, but want to actually buy a different part, and explain all of that to them that you are returning that part to put towards the purchase of a different part they have, they will almost always waive the restocking fee for you.

And you are correct when you thought that it was as if Newegg didn't even test any refurbed parts, and that is because they DONT! It states it right on the page for the refurbs section. They do not test anything at all. Anyhow, Newegg will hook you up if you just talk to them. Good luck.

Stedeman

The Half Asleep Member
Same thing happened to me the last 2 times 1 was missing some thing that they said would come with it and didn't the other was a Mobo with non working video they refunded me the money but I was out shipping both ways now I will only buy stuff like cases from the refurbed section

Aktunka

Stedeman said:
Same thing happened to me the last 2 times 1 was missing some thing that they said would come with it and didn't the other was a Mobo with non working video they refunded me the money but I was out shipping both ways now I will only buy stuff like cases from the refurbed section
Are you saying that you called Newegg and they told you that a specific refurb item would come with whatever part was missing? I am just confused because right at the start of the refurbs section, and whenever you look at the items, they always say that on a refurb it is a bare board only and comes with no items that are shown with it in the pictures and those are only shown so that you can see what normally comes with the new version of the item.

Not ragging on you, just honestly curious how it is that you came to believe that something should have come with what you bought refurbed when all indications I have been able to find say they don't come with anything.

Stedeman

The Half Asleep Member
I had been doing the newegg refurbs for a long time and know the game. The part missing was "added" to the description (ad stated it would be included). In fact it would not have come with it normally, and it was the deciding factor for me to order it. The day I got it in I emailed newegg about it and asked them to look at the ad, and then the link I had became dead (I wonder why). I believe they messed up on the ad originally and when they looked at the ad realized it, then they just stone walled me with automated response messages because they knew I no longer had any proof.