• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newer boards really slower?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deed

I have noticed myself with computers *and from posts in this forum*

that the newer motherboards or motherboards after 2005-ish boot up SLOWER then older motherboards. Why may this be? I went to test this last night with a older computer in raid 0 that can start up in less then 15 seconds. Putting in a newer motherboard it took about 49.

tool_462

X58 boots epicly slow compared to my P45 board, but I just got a P55 setup that is somewhere between P45 and P55.

I'm curious as to why this is as well?

DocClock aka MadClocker

It is probably due to initializing newer components e.g. memory controllers etc.
It could also just be a "wait state" introduced to be sure the hdd has enough time to initialize before the bios or "bootstrap loader" hands the computer over to the OS for loading.
I think you will continue to see these wait states till SSD's become mainstream, or the mobo's have onboard storage...(I actually see this as a possible next step in computing)
Waite states have been around since the 1st 80286 processors were out maybe even b4 then.