• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[NEWS] How Wii Is Creaming the Competition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2006
Elif Tymes said:
If you build it they will come. Wii has the installed userbase. Games will come.

Somehow that idea didn't work out so well for Sega...

(And they DON'T have the installed userbase. There are still a kazillion gamers sitting on the fence with their PS2s and the Wii hasn't even caught up with <and won't catch up with> the 360. People keep *saying* they have "the" installed base. But they're actually far from it.)
 

Elif Tymes

Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
http://nexgenwars.com/

~64% of the marketshare that 360 has in < 30% of the time that the console has been out?

Add to that that Nintendo is finally going to start shipping the consoles to the U.S. means the Wii will overtake the 360 in marketshare by the end of summer.

NOTHER cool fact:

Wii is the only current gen console that has a game in IGN's top 10 based on Gamestats score.

http://www.gamestats.com/index/gs/index.html

Interesting....

Did a quick analysis of the top 50 games based upon GS. On a "Platform By Publisher" basis, the "strongest" platform is Sonys, based on historic data.
Sony has: 18
Nintendo has: 13
Microsoft has: 12
PC has: 6
Sega has: 2

Current Gen breakdown puts PS3 with only one game in the top 50, which is a port of Oblivion from the 360/PC. 360 weighs in with both Guitar Hero II and Gears of War, while the Wii takes 10th place with Zelda: Twilight Princess.
 
Last edited:

OC Noob

Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2002
Location
Phoenix, AZ USA
rainless said:
Ummm... OC?

We've finally moved on from the "PC" thing.

Please don't get him started on his computer again. :)

We're back to my endless quest for either a post-Rumsfeld-like change in Nintendo's battleplan or Mario's blood.

Errrrrrrrrrrr... sorry dude, me = a day late and a dollar short.
 

rainless

Old Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2006
Elif Tymes said:
http://nexgenwars.com/

~64% of the marketshare that 360 has in < 30% of the time that the console has been out?

Add to that that Nintendo is finally going to start shipping the consoles to the U.S. means the Wii will overtake the 360 in marketshare by the end of summer.

NOTHER cool fact:

Wii is the only current gen console that has a game in IGN's top 10 based on Gamestats score.

http://www.gamestats.com/index/gs/index.html

Interesting....

Did a quick analysis of the top 50 games based upon GS. On a "Platform By Publisher" basis, the "strongest" platform is Sonys, based on historic data.
Sony has: 18
Nintendo has: 13
Microsoft has: 12
PC has: 6
Sega has: 2

Current Gen breakdown puts PS3 with only one game in the top 50, which is a port of Oblivion from the 360/PC. 360 weighs in with both Guitar Hero II and Gears of War, while the Wii takes 10th place with Zelda: Twilight Princess.

Oh come now Eliff! You of all people know better than to whip out Reaganomics "Less is More" math on me.

Your theory cutely ASSUMES that after Nintendo stocks the Wii on actual shelves the demand is going to be just as high as it's been from launch throuh this artificial shortage. You also assume (even though I've only mentioned this THIRTY TIMES in this thread alone...) that the 360's sales are going to stop completely in the next three hours so that Nintendo can catch up to that four million console gap.

When is Twilight Princess 2 coming out? How bought Metroid? Because the demo of Halo 3 *ALONE* is going to sell another five million 360s or so. And the 360 still has actual, real, playable games coming out every week (as opposed to one or two a month on the Wii.)

So you can't substantiate that guess.

And who gives a flying **** about IGN? They turned their entire website into a mountain dew ad on their day off from Burger King. You're using the F'N Fry Guys for empirical data! :)
 

Elif Tymes

Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Sweetheart, numbers are facts. I'm not saying the 360 will stop selling, but if you compare the rates of sales of the Wii and 360, the Wii is selling at a significantly higher rate. 80% of the people who want to buy Halo 3 already probably own a 360 anyway. Heck, I own one, and I couldn't give a rats ankle about Halo.

6 months ago, it was a 10 million console gap. Now it is a 4 million console gap. Think about that.

As for the IGN stuff, it isn't just the IGN's review score, it's an average of the scores for the game across a bunch of different reviewers. It's a number, something you have an aversion to, simply because they don't back up your assumptions ;)
 

Oc1Kenube

Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2007
OC Noob said:
Blah, blah, blah is all I hear from you. Oh this was planned for PC and this was developed for PC, but...

You are full of excuses and just because you say a game isn't good doesn't make it true. Face the fact that PC games are extremely limited and ask yourself why a 4 or 5 year old Xbox port does better for sales that 99% of PC games and its a FPSer for christ sakes.

Btw, GoW is Gears of War, I'm not talking about gfx from a PS2 game you tool. And yeah, Crisis has better gfx, but its not even released so give me a few games that look better on the PC than Gears of War to justify spending $600 every year or two.

PS3/360 games $60, Wii $50, PC $50-60 so not much difference here between console and PC game costs.

"! more thing pc games to look out for: john woo's strangleholdconsole,clive barkers jericho console,hl 2 episode 2console, team fortress 2,tabula rose,warhammer online,spore,empire earth 3,elite4,unreal 3console,colin mcrae dirtconsole"

Those are the ones being released on console off the top of my head.

If you like paying $600 every year or two to play a handful of games then good for you, but you'll never convince me the PC game line up is superior to consoles unless its FPSer, MMO or RTS genres. Thats a different story.

Point is they will look better on pc end of story so shhh we will reopen this debate in 6 months if you want.


As for the wii i agree that Ninty release first party titles too far between and i could envisage th wii being another dc large userbase with no support sega should team up with nintendo impo imagine a sonic/mario game! It would draw a huuuuuuge crowd! just look what super mario brothers 3 did for the nes
 

rainless

Old Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2006
Elif Tymes said:
Sweetheart, numbers are facts. I'm not saying the 360 will stop selling, but if you compare the rates of sales of the Wii and 360, the Wii is selling at a significantly higher rate. 80% of the people who want to buy Halo 3 already probably own a 360 anyway. Heck, I own one, and I couldn't give a rats ankle about Halo.

6 months ago, it was a 10 million console gap. Now it is a 4 million console gap. Think about that.

As for the IGN stuff, it isn't just the IGN's review score, it's an average of the scores for the game across a bunch of different reviewers. It's a number, something you have an aversion to, simply because they don't back up your assumptions ;)

Dude... when I am emperor my assumptions shall be LAW.

...so everybody should be practicing. :)
 

OC Noob

Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2002
Location
Phoenix, AZ USA
Elif Tymes said:
http://nexgenwars.com/

~64% of the marketshare that 360 has in < 30% of the time that the console has been out?

Add to that that Nintendo is finally going to start shipping the consoles to the U.S. means the Wii will overtake the 360 in marketshare by the end of summer.

NOTHER cool fact:

Wii is the only current gen console that has a game in IGN's top 10 based on Gamestats score.

http://www.gamestats.com/index/gs/index.html

Interesting....

Did a quick analysis of the top 50 games based upon GS. On a "Platform By Publisher" basis, the "strongest" platform is Sonys, based on historic data.
Sony has: 18
Nintendo has: 13
Microsoft has: 12
PC has: 6
Sega has: 2

Current Gen breakdown puts PS3 with only one game in the top 50, which is a port of Oblivion from the 360/PC. 360 weighs in with both Guitar Hero II and Gears of War, while the Wii takes 10th place with Zelda: Twilight Princess.

You know what is funny about these numbers is that the 360 has been around 10 million for 6 months. Why is it that every estimate assumes the Wii has sold 6 million in the last six months, but the 360 hasn't moved a unit?

I find it funny how the Wii has sold close to 7 million units on that site and the 360 has only sold about 1 million in the same time period when the 360 outsold the Wii during the holidays and the Wii only outsold the 360 by 50K units last month. That would mean the Wii sold almost 7 million units in January and Febuary and the 360 sold 0 units.

The Nintendo fanboys need to put down their calculators and quit hosting blogs.
 

Elif Tymes

Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Actually, 360 was @ 8 Million sold in December, I've been following the thing for a while. Keep in mind when you're quoting the "Sold only 50K More units" that you look at whether it's global, or in the U.S.
 

OC Noob

Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2002
Location
Phoenix, AZ USA
Elif Tymes said:
Actually, 360 was @ 8 Million sold in December, I've been following the thing for a while. Keep in mind when you're quoting the "Sold only 50K More units" that you look at whether it's global, or in the U.S.

NPD is typically north america isn't it?

Ms claimed they were at 7 million around Sept. of last year and would be at 10 million at the end of December and I don't see why they wouldn't be if it outsold the Wii during the holiday season and the Wii sold what 3 or 4 million during that time?
 

FudgeNuggets

Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2006
Location
Gone Racing
VincentP said:
I love my wii, best system ive ever had I think


Not me. I was all into it when I first got it but I probably haven't played it at all in 2 months. I rented some games and didn't like them. I liked WiiSports but it got old after a bit.

I'll probably change my mind when some better games come out, but so far as far as gaming enjoyment goes it's 360, Wii then PS3. That should say a lot about the PS3 when their 2nd best game out is a Demo of a cancelled game (GTHD). Resistance is the defacto #1 of course.
 

reclaimer122

Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2007
Location
Connecticut
Personally I don't like the Wii at all. It has graphics comparable to XBox and PS2, and uses a control system like no other for no reason at all. I couldn't see myself spending $200 for something I could get the same experience from buying a used XBox for $99. The games are awful, too. So far it looks like their best game is COD3, and I can get that for any other system. Behind that is RedSteel, but that game is just retarded :D All the others are either series that have been around from the '80s or just plain children's games. Should Wii even be considered next-gen? Not by my standards.
 

Recursion

Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2004
Location
Bronx, NY
Have you tried Wii Play, Its great.


se my gaming style is, If I want to play i may want to play for 5 min or an hour, it varies. But I am not one to sit for hours and hours. Thats why I like the wii, I can play a few quick games and Im done.