• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Next-Generation of Video Cards...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Odiexx

Registered
What happening next in the video card industry?

When is the next generation of video cards going to hit the streets?

Any information around about the next-gen of video cards?

From what I have heard next gen Nvidia cards will come out next month. Next gen ATI cards are supposed to be out 2nd quarter this year or about 3 or 4 months from now atleast thats what I read. This makes me think ATI is planning to release the next gen cards for the release of HL2 or is it just a coincidence that the second quarter is around april?

The next nVidia card is going to be the NV40. Not much is known about this card, but it should be available in both PCI Express and AGP flavors. The next ATI card will be based on the R420 design. It should be available in PCI Express and AGP as well. Plus, ATI says that the R420 should have 50% better performance than the 9700 Pro.

I have heard people speculate that the R420 should be out by April, but it is just speculation of course

Nightingale said:
This makes me think ATI is planning to release the next gen cards for the release of HL2 or is it just a coincidence that the second quarter is around april?

~6 months from the release of the 9800XT is about April...coincidence, yes

Overclocker550 said:
"R420 should have 50% better performance than the 9700 Pro."

you are wrong, its 100-150% faster! :D

Doubtful to say the least

Posted by Overclocker550
you are wrong, its 100-150% faster!

Close enough :D

Either way, I doubt that it's giong to happen anyway. The 9700 Pro is already a beast, and I just dont believe that ATI can double its speed in just one core redesign.

CalsonicGTR said:

Close enough :D

Either way, I doubt that it's giong to happen anyway. The 9700 Pro is already a beast, and I just dont believe that ATI can double its speed in just one core redesign.

the 9700 pro is clocked at 325 on the core with 8 pipelines while the r420 would be 450+ with 12 pipes. do the math :rolleyes: :cool:

Overclocker550 said:

the 9700 pro is clocked at 325 on the core with 8 pipelines while the r420 would be 450+ with 12 pipes. do the math :rolleyes: :cool:

Diminishing returns?..

Posted by Overclocker550
the 9700 pro is clocked at 325 on the core with 8 pipelines while the r420 would be 450+ with 12 pipes. do the math

Higher clocks and 4 more pipes doesnt necesarily mean that the card's speed will double the 9700 Pro's speed.

BTW, where did you get that info that the R420 was guaranteed to have 12 pipes? I have heard speculation that thinks it will have anywhere from 8-16 pipes.

Overclocker550 said:

A car with 200hp isn't twice as fast as a car with 100hp, not in acceleration, or top-end. It seems as if a lot of people don't like you around here, here's how to change that.
Option 1.) Know everything, people love smart people
2.)Stop being so close-minded and arrogant.

Option 2 can start right now. :)

It might be 50% faster with PCI express but very unlikely with AGP. The card may be able to process all that info but can it be quickly transfered threw the AGP bus?

Excelsior said:
We can see the big difference from 4 pipelines to 8... another 4 will have the same effect with all so the big jump in clock speeds :p

before you call me "aggroant" read what excelsior said. he has a valad point. going from 8 to 12 pipes at the same clocks would have a decent performance boost. 50% faster on paper, like 35% faster in real world. then factor in the higher core clocks and I would not be in the LEAST supprised if it does double a 9700 pro :D

Way hey, iam useful :p.. LoL... And to that thing what someone said about maybe only a 50% boost in speed with PCI Express you are wrong... because we are not even using the full bandwisth with AGP x8 :p... no mind PCI Express x16 :p

Has anyone *looks at Overclocker550* provided any proof of such claims? Idle speculation does not hold up well to a bit of scrutiny :)

Some links would be nice.

L337 M33P said:
Has anyone *looks at Overclocker550* provided any proof of such claims? Idle speculation does not hold up well to a bit of scrutiny :)

Some links would be nice.

It's all speculation until some review sites get hold of these new cards.

Phoenix87 said:
It might be 50% faster with PCI express but very unlikely with AGP. The card may be able to process all that info but can it be quickly transfered threw the AGP bus?

PCI-Express wont effect video card performance at all. The bus itself has nothing to do with the performance of the card unless all textures cant be stored in the video card's onboard memory (and that is never the case if you keep up to date with technology)

Excelsior said:
Way hey, iam useful :p.. LoL... And to that thing what someone said about maybe only a 50% boost in speed with PCI Express you are wrong... because we are not even using the full bandwisth with AGP x8 :p... no mind PCI Express x16 :p

We are using the full bandwidth, quite easily. The only problem is people think that the textures are alwasy being transfered over the bus...they arent. They are loaded into the video card's memory. Once thats full, they are loaded into the system memory. The only time the bandwidth comes into play is the rare instance that textures are stored into system memory, and they need to be called upon. And in that case, neither AGP 8x, or PCI-Express 16x are fast enough to compare to the onboard bandwidth of the video card, thus no matter what the speed, all it does is slow down.

128mb cards are enough to store all the textures of 99% of games out, and coming out.

Evnas said:

PCI-Express wont effect video card performance at all. The bus itself has nothing to do with the performance of the card unless all textures cant be stored in the video card's onboard memory (and that is never the case if you keep up to date with technology)

We are using the full bandwidth, quite easily. The only problem is people think that the textures are alwasy being transfered over the bus...they arent. They are loaded into the video card's memory. Once thats full, they are loaded into the system memory. The only time the bandwidth comes into play is the rare instance that textures are stored into system memory, and they need to be called upon. And in that case, neither AGP 8x, or PCI-Express 16x are fast enough to compare to the onboard bandwidth of the video card, thus no matter what the speed, all it does is slow down.

128mb cards are enough to store all the textures of 99% of games out, and coming out.

I get what you mean, this has been said many times before mate.... I got my information wrong slighty.... so ok we are using the bandwidth... we still have that problem with x16 aswell.... its still too slow...

Back