• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Next logical upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cpyfx

I have a mobil 2600 on shuttle an35 ultra with i gig and a 9800 pro. I am thinking of upgrading the mb and cpu, but have not kept up with different chips and socket types. What's the biggest boost for the littlest amount of money could I get?

rseven

I think you have to give us an idea of how little you want to spend. Certainly, the cheapest system to buy would be a socket 754 based system, but for a modest additional amount you could get a socket 939 system. Also, tell us exactly what components you are looking to replace.

darksparkz

Yep, depends on whats your definition of littlest money.

A skt939 upgrade would be the top level upgrade as of now, but the CPUs range in pricing and performance of course.

OP
C

cpyfx

I would say under $200 if possible. Would that get me a big boost or should I wait for 939's to drop in price?

stang8118

I doubt $200 would be enough to switch to 939, unless you went with the nf3 chipset and kept the AGP card.

My question to you is how long do you plan to upgrade again?? Month, year, two years?? If you plan to upgrade again after this around end of 06 early 07ish i would say go with 754 for now and save up for M2 when its released.