• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF-7 S and 1GB modules - No post

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mizzery

I'm trying to get some new ram i got for x-mas. The ram is marked w/ a sticker as 1GB PC-3200/400MHz. It has elixir chips marked N2DS51240AF-6K on them. Tried using them tonight and can't seem to get a boot. Reset cmos jumper reseated multiple times, tried different slots. Only boots with my older (slower) ram. I already tried upping the mem voltage and dropping the timings back from aggressive to by spd. Any Ideas?

OP
Mizzery

Mizzery

Here is a link to the part number on the invoice. The pic is not accurate as to the chip layout. I will get some pics of the chips, unless someone can tell me that The NF7-S v2.0 does not support high density chips which these are. Thanks

oh yeah -
Link

Bogie

I am having the same problem, with my wifes computer, she has the same board, it had 2 x 256 of pc2100 , i got her another stick of 512 everything is the same , i have tryed all the slots, with each stick. As long as i leave one stick out everything is fine, didnt mean to jump in on your post, but were having the same problem.

OP
Mizzery

Mizzery

My problem exists when I populate any of the slots with either one or two of the 1GB sticks i got. Neither will allow the system to post. I will try on my g/f's and brothers computer soon to see if the ram boots there.

Cyrix_2k

Same problem on my brother's NF7-s. I installed 3x512 and the board wouldn't post. On about the third attempt to boot, it fried! Previously, it had 2x512 and 1x 256 and ran fine. All the ram survived, except for one stick that my brother killed from ESD. This board just has some really odd issues with ram. My board won't boot with my corsair unless it's in slot 2. Weird.

Beginner

before putting in your ram did you guys clear your cmos? i had the same issue, i just put the ram in. board wouldn't but, i cleared the cmos and everything was fine.

OP
Mizzery

Mizzery

Yes, i cleared the cmos. Last night I tried the ram in my g/f's computer, which is an intel and i'm not sure of the chipset but it only had pc2700 in there. No boot. I tried on my brothers machine which is an A64, not sure of the mobo, and it would post, but would blue screen in windows. I guess i'm gonna have to suck it up. My brother (who got them for me) is going to sell these two sticks and buy a decent stick of low density pc3200.

Beginner

Mizzery said:
Yes, i cleared the cmos. Last night I tried the ram in my g/f's computer, which is an intel and i'm not sure of the chipset but it only had pc2700 in there. No boot. I tried on my brothers machine which is an A64, not sure of the mobo, and it would post, but would blue screen in windows. I guess i'm gonna have to suck it up. My brother (who got them for me) is going to sell these two sticks and buy a decent stick of low density pc3200.

that sucks, but i thinks is better to have bad sticks of ram, than a bad mobo.

these mobo's are getting precious, they still get a good price on ebay.

OP
Mizzery

Mizzery

I didn't play too much on my brothers motherboard. I bet w/ some timing and voltage adjustments it could be stable but It doesn't matter for my board. Anyone know of cheap ram compatible with NF2 chipsets?

It is a great motherboard. I'm sure there are some that beat it, but it is one of the better overclocking socket A mobo's IMO. Its been very stable for me, even without the chipset fan (but slow ram has prevented me from trying to push the FSB). Holding its retail value well for something thats going on two years old.

Beginner

i've used value ram for all the makers like ocz/mushkin/geil, etc. i even used some generic elixer, and dell sticks with success.

from messing with this board the lower the megabytes the better. for example 2x256mb sticks are easier to run and play with than say 2x1gb sticks.

check the nf7 page on the abit site, it might still have a ddr compatibility chart, i think the manual had info on this too.