• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S and 2 MBRs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

t_biggs

I wasn't sure to put this in the ABit forum or Storage, but I figured here since it I'm going to try this on a NF7-S.

But anyways, I'm thinking of installing Linux again (I've tried it multiple times, and never really liked it. It's been nearly a year since I gave it a serious try, so I'm going again.) Something I hated about it was how I had to mess with the MBR. So, I was thinking of using 2 hard drives, each with a MBR.

My current drive is on SATA. I want to put the other drive on an empty IDE channel. Would disabling one or the other allow me to have 2 MBRs, so Windows boots on its own (and can't possibly touch Linux) and Linux boots on its own (and can't possibly touch Windows?)

Has anyone tried this?

9mmCensor

Disabled
Iam not sure exactly what your getting at but I have my two hardrives (Linux Mandrake 9.2 and Windows XP - each are on seperate drives), and have them on the same IDE channel, with the Linux as the primary. It then boots into Lilo and I select the OS.

OP
t_biggs

t_biggs

I mean have the 2 drives on different controllers, and have 1 disabled when using the other. I don't want to use LILO or GRUB or whatever, because if I decide to get rid of Linux again, I don't want to have to mess with fixing the MBR to get rid of the stuff Linux puts there.