• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S Memory Upgrade Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mkochsch

OK, this belongs in the old folks home I know but I'm hoping someone can give me some good advice on reviving my NF7-S motherboard. It's been running for years just fine. I had the good idea to upgrade from 2-512 MB sticks to 2-1GB sticks that I bought cheap online. What could go wrong, right? Well, when I swap out to the new 1GB sticks I just get a long beep every 5 or 10 seconds, no POST. Obviously not compatible. My old memory is DDR PC3200 512, my new memory is DDR PC3200 1GB. How hard can this be. Is there something I can dumb down on my MoBo? I'm seating them in the same slots are the 512 sticks (slots 3, then 2). Running at 11/200. Don't know much about the other settings. I think mostly they're in auto. Thanks.

Have you tried resetting the cmos with the jumper? Make sure the power is switched off at the PSU before you move the jumper and don't turn it back on until the jumper is replaced to default position. Otherwise, you can corrupt your bios. The jumper should be near the flat round battery on the motherboard.

My other thoughts are that the operating voltage of the new ram or the timings may be different enough on the new ram to cause problems. Do you have specs on the two sets of ram? You may need to resort to manual voltage and/or timing values instead of Auto.

Thank you. I just read somewhere else that the CMOS jumper trick might help. The other thought that crossed my mind is that the 1GB sticks are "high density". I couldn't tell you what the 512MB are but I'm betting low density. Don't know if the NF7-S can take the high density memory or not at this point, nothing in the manual about it. I'll remember to bleed the PSU from the switch before I move the jumper.

CMOS jumper didn't change the outcome. Still no POST. I think this time I'm going to eat it. Maybe try to find some older low density 1GB sticks. The 2-512s still work fine. Thanks again.

The NF7-S should be able to handle 2GB of memory, though I don't know about the high/low densities. I ran 2GB in mine for a while.

Have you tried different slots? Slots 1 and 3? Also, you could make sure you fully reset the CMOS. Unplug the PSU, take out the motherboard battery, switch the CMOS jumper to the reset position, and leave it there for a good ten seconds. Then put the battery back in, plug back in, etc. It might help.

You could also make sure, while your 'good' memory is in, that you set RAM speeds and timings to lower values. Try 2.5-3-3-11, and lower the memory multiplier to 1:1. Then try swapping the new sticks in?

Hello there. I am also running an NF7-S v2 with a modded bios. I can run as much as 2.5gigs of memory at 400....but run only 2 gig but at 511.2 OC. :attn:

I am using OCZ PC3200 Platinum series RAM...had to go through many sticks to get a set that worked right. OCZ was very helpful and kept sending me sets until they finally worked properly. They actually had a set tested on an NF7 board to ensure they would work for me.

I can play WoW at Ultra settings pretty well....gets a little choppy when there are too many other players around.

What you need to do is get yourself a modded bios, so far the best I found is Taipan/Merlin's d27 with CPC off....also known as 2T.

My old PC kicks the *** of many newer models even with their multi cores.

I have no voltage hard mods. Just lots and lots of heat sinks added to anything that generates heat, the best Athlon XP-M processor, and the best CPU air cooler ever made for this chip, as well as dual video cards Sapphire HD3800 AGP (running @ max oc) and a Visontek X1550 PCI card powering 3 monitors. :comp:

Having the right timings, voltages, and FSB will decide whether or not you can run the memory you want. I am able to run as much as 3gigs, but need to make adjustments to bios to do so.

Also I found that it often take more than one restart to get things to boot right after a drastic bios or hardware change, and it helps to reset the ESCD. Clearing cmos is a must or things just wont work right...I learned this the hard way.

Last edited:
Back