• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S v2.0 Cpu Header Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chupacabras

Registered
Just a quick question. What is the highest recommended safe wattage for the cpu header to draw? Also, if you're using a program like speedfan, to slow down the fan through the winbond chip is it any safer than running the fan full speed?

Thanks,

Hoot

Inactive Moderator
I believe they are rated for .5 amps and I have never used speedfan, so i don't know the answer to the 2nd part.

Hoot

OP
C

Chupacabras

Registered
Thanks. The fan i'm using is .55amp.. guess I should switch it asap. Speedfan controls fan speeds through winbond chips if that's any help.

Hoot

Inactive Moderator
Oh. I know what speedfan does, I just choose to distribute the +12V to all my case fans and radiator fan from a terminal strip and via rheostats to allow fine tuning their noise level versus effectiveness to suit my preferences. I do use one header for the TI4200's heatsink fan, but it's so quiet that I let it run full tilt anyway. I use another header just to monitor the RPM of my PSU fan though it is powered internal to the PSU.

Hoot

Gnufsh

Chupacabras said:
Just a quick question. What is the highest recommended safe wattage for the cpu header to draw? Also, if you're using a program like speedfan, to slow down the fan through the winbond chip is it any safer than running the fan full speed?

Thanks,

I don't think slowing the fans with spedfan would make the much safer, it controls them with PWM instead of lowering the voltage. So, you'll have the same voltage, but switched on and off rapidly to control fan speed.