• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nf7-s voltage mods rev 2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Default resistance for mine was 564-565 I lowered it to 538-539 I read that every 30 olhms is .1v right? So does that mean if in bios i put it at 1.7v, its gona be at 1.8v now?

I still dont know what actual volts im at now. I do know that whatever its at now.. if it even changed that much.. I didnt get any higher fsb.

I havent really messed w/ lowering from 2,2,2,11 I kinda wana keep it at that. and ya i play w/ multi

i have a amd heatsink w/fan on my nb

Cow2kie said:
I havent really messed w/ lowering from 2,2,2,11 I kinda wana keep it at that. and ya i play w/ multi

i have a amd heatsink w/fan on my nb

What about the FSB/MEMORY ratio?
Have you altered that to make the memory speed slower in relation to the FSB, so that you can be sure that the memory is not bottlenecking your FSB speed?

no i havent tried to make my the ratio higher for fsb than memory.. although i could try that to see if i could go higher on fsb.. i do think i need more voltage for my memory to go higher. I have a soldering gun here and multimeter.. just never really soldered but once

I'm not talking voltage for the memory, but the FSB/MEMORY ratio- the 6/6, 3/3, 5/3, 3/4, ect.
I never solderied either, so I bought some of those clips and the 10k ohm variable resister, and I am ready to play.
I need to set my FSB voltage to lowest (1.6v) before I try and hook up, so I need to reboot (I only do so 'bout 1x a month) and go into bios, so I'll let you know where the FSB/MEMORY ratios can be changed.
I'll bet that the memory is what is holding you back if you have never toyed with those timings. And IF the memory IS holding you back, doing the chipset voltmod will not allow you higher FSB UNLESS you run Asynchrynous memory (NOT iun sync with the FSB- which really cuts performance and is not worth it). So basically if that is hte case, then the voltmod will not become usefull until you get some memory (or overclock yours) to be able to keep up with the FSB of your board.
What is your memory brand and speed? Does your memory have heat spreaders, (and if so did they come that way?)

[reboot]

i know where it is and all about it. Im pretty sure mushkin 3500 (bh5 chips) can keep up w/ the fsb w/ a vdimm vold mod

[/reboot] Man this is a S L O W machine at stock!

re the ram keeping up, yeah, I would think so too.
But I find it curious that the voltmod yielded ZERO increase in FSB :confused: How much extra voltage did the voltmeter say you were giving the chipset?
It's a far shot, but PSU's can make some funny things happen when they are cheap/overstressed. You obviously invested a pretty penny in good ram, did you do the smae with your PSU?

Welll, I'm gonna shut down and clip on 'da resistor and do some testing.

Will post again with some results whenI resurface (may take a while- I gotta pul;l hte mobo, and glue PII HSF in addition to the voltage mod and testing..

From what I have seen VDD modding nf7's doesnt help higher fsb .. Ever .. You'd be better off volt modding your psu rails

I cant get it to read the volts to me right.. but i can get the reistance to show. I took the resistance down to 520-530 Default was like 565. They say approx every 30 diff is like .1v So I would guess my chipset is around 1.8 now. And my psu is a Fotron aurora 350w and I also have an antec 350w. Both perform pretty much identicle to me. its deff the fsb stopping me, i did the 5/4 ratio so the memory wasnt even at 200 but fsb 227.. errors in memtest so ya the fsb is holding me back. for now 223 1:1 for me

disable cpu interface and put your ram volts to 2.9 and up your fsb 1 mhz at a atime past 221 . I bet you make it to 230 error free .. Ram is in slots 1 and 3 ?? Should be

I dont want to disable it.. i would lose performance that way. i already have it at 2.9v. and yes its in 1 and 3. 223 is the max stable

well, I'm on my lappy right now.
on my nf7, the pre-volt mod fsb block was 223(bios) stable, 225(bios) boot into windows xp.
with the volt mod, I was able to boot upto 228(bios), 226(boot sequence display) at 1.75 (voltmeter)
at 1.8 (voltmeter) I was able to go stable (at least overnite running burnintestpro) at 231(bios), 230(boot sequence display).
I tried up to 1.9 volts to break the 231 wall, but my board just beeps.
1 second of long beep, 3 seconds of no beep, 1 second of long beep, 3 seconds of no beep.....
curious. And I tried putting a hs on the SB, but that didn't help either, and the mofsets do not feel hot at all. And this is running 6/3 memory ratio, multi of 8.
I am testing on my backup psu, Antec SP350 until I get my nf7 back in it's case, then it's back to it's Antec TP480, but I don't think that is the cause of the wall.

Oh, and I am measuring voltage through the large solder lump.
and when bios says 1.7 with voltmod disconnected, the voltmeter reads 1.736

Back