• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NForce 2 Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EluSiOn

NForce 2 Motherboard - Lets vote

NForce 2 motherboard seems to have the best performance and OC ability for the AMD CPU.

I want to upgrade to a NForce2 Mobo but none of them now satisfy what I want

What I want is a NForce2 Mobo that has:
  • 6 pci Slots (because I filled all mine)
  • support CPU vcore up to 2.1v, Serial ATA (RAID support would be great)
  • AGP x4 (so that I don't have to upgrade my video card)
  • Jumperless Mobo
  • p80 debug LED or similiar

Asus - A7N8X: only 5 pci slot, but Vcore max @ 1.85v. Price US$ 129*

Epox - EP-8RDA+: lack of Serial ATA and RAID Controller. Price $130*

Leadtek - Winfast K7NCR18D: 4pci slots only and lack of Serial ATA and RAID controller. Price $115*

Abit - NF7-S only 5 pci slot but support both AGP x4 and x8

Tom's Hardware Reviews on NForce2

Which Board do you think is the best?

* price based on pricewatch

Last edited:
OP
EluSiOn

EluSiOn

i cant find any article describe the features on 8rda2+. I love Epox, but will 8rda2+ support AGP 4x? right now Abit Nforce2 more is more tempting to me

snvpa

I think part of the agp 8x standard is support for 4x agp cards or backwards compatibility. though i think the 8rda2+ sounds like the board I will go with my basic request being raid. I like epox alot and think their board with raid will be the best solution to my needs.

Wangster

Official O/C Santa Ferret
What about VIA's answer to Nforce2

Does anyone know if there is going to be a VIA answer to Nforce2? It seems unlike them to give up their chipset crown so easily.

Is there any news on maybe KT400a or an equivalent?

How is Nforce2's dual ddr memory going to significantly improve system performance when the cpu fsb is still held back at 166fsb?

Does anyone know if the Barton's are going to have a higher cpu fsb?

Thanks,

Wangster

OP
EluSiOn

EluSiOn

so far I have not see any thread or article about VIA's coming chipset to answer NForce2. I have no doubt about it VIA definately working around the clock to come up one.

Nforce2 DDRII works great so far after looking at many website's review and benchmarks, and so far Abit's Nforce2 mobo can adjust the FSB up to 237 mhz and many unconfirmed stories (romours) about Epox going to support FSB up to 333 mhz. However, all those FSB are out of AMD's Spec. Intel's System Bus speed is still at 133 mhz.

The new Barton core will actually run slower than current AMD XP thred rev B but it will have a higher PR like AMD 3200+

Last edited:

Mambo

man what are you talking about the barton will have 166fsb just like the 2700 and 2800 do

and of course AGP 8x is backward compatible

OP
EluSiOn

EluSiOn

check this article from inquirer

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=5696

Barton, apparently is to kick off at 2800+, will have, as we know a level two cache of 512K which could give a performance increase of nearly 10 per cent.

check this article from internetnews.com

http://siliconvalley.internet.com/news/article.php/1463021

Barton has a larger data storage feature, known as a cache. Where existing Athlon chips have a 256-kilobyte cache, Barton will store 512 kilobytes of data. The modified version also will have a bus that operates at a frequency of 333 megahertz, up from 266 megahertz.

Do not assume AGP 3.0 is backward compatible. AGP 3.0 and AGP 2.0 operates at different voltage

This article talks about AGP 3.0 compatibility. and it is the mobo manufacture to decide to be compitable with what AGP speed either x1 , x2 or x4. If check all those Nforce2 mobo link and you will see most of the mobo maker only support 1x, 8x (1.5v)

AGP 3.0 is the third generation of accelerated graphics for the Intel-compatible computers and will be officially introduced on 11/12/02. In contrast to AGP 2.0 the AGP 3.0 specification isn't just a derivation of an existing standard. AGP 3.0 is incompatible to AGP 2.0 ¡V in theory. However, compatibility can be forced by implementing the "Universal AGP 3.0 Motherboard" standard

CrashOveride

something to remember /w the PCI slot thing is that i think it comes with onboards sound... 5.1 and NOT that bad... and onboard LAN.. that is 2 PCI cards gone.. :D :eh?: :D

OP
EluSiOn

EluSiOn

on board sound is no use for me... because I use sound blaster live 5.1 platium with the live drive

However, with two LAN card on board will definately help me out because I do use up 2 pci slot for NIC cards. And I have seen some mobo have two LAN on the mobo

OP
EluSiOn

EluSiOn

It is confirmed that NForce 2 mobo does not have PCI and AGP lock and it is unclear if NForce2 mobo has 1/6 divisor.

I think I would not want to have any onboard RAID but instead use Promise FastTrak SX4000. It is only US$ 150 and support RAID 5 and also 66mhz PCI bus. This can be the next OC KING!

GosuWar

Registered
Fellas, i've heard enough about the nforce2. So far the only good thing about it is the Dual DDRII. Never EVER put your money on the fact that a review guide says they can OC it past 200 FSB, because the KT400 was spose to reach 200 FSB but cant even pass 190.

The other night I had my **** running at 9.5x190, next thing you know i'm missing a file from Windows and had to reinstall.

The nforce2 is gonna be 150-200 bucks. I wouldn't waste the money on it, it's not THAT much of an increase since KT400 except for the Dual DDR Bandwidth.

8x AGP is backwards compatibility, but the cards out now like Radeon9700 say they USE the bandwidth when they don't. **** lik these are AD tricks to get you to buy them. The benchmarks for the 4x Geforce4 4200 Ti beat out certain benchmarks for the Radeon 9700 8x agp.

I'm waiting out the nforce2, as I just got my Kt400 about a month or more ago. I'm probably gonna wait for the Warhammer, or w/e it's called along w/ the nv30, which i'll probably get first.

Anyways, lata out to work.

~Dan

GosuWar

Registered
Without PCI/AGP lock (like they SAID it would have), oc'ing the nforce2 is useless.

In all honesty, I believe that the FSB reviews for this reboard (being able to OC to 250 FSB) is also an ad trick, considering that it doesn't come w/ PCI/AGP lock... and mostly everything from usb to firewire is going to be 33 mhz.

The nforce2 benchs didn't beat out the Kt400 by that much anyways, and the KT400 Ultra has everything except the Dual DDR bandwidth, and was specifically built for OC'ing as it has incrimental increases in voltages, hertz, fsb... and has voltage termination as well.

Last edited:

Jstic

The information about the PCI bus not being locked is incorrect. While the Epox board may not have the bus locked at 33 mhz, the Asus board does. I would speculate that most other boads will implement this feature also.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Lots of bad info being passed around.

Jstic

Gosu, get yourself an nforce2 board, you will have no interest in any VIA based board after that. I've tried both and there is absolutely no comparison.