• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nforce 2 Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tipycol

Yep you can use only one stick, but I don't know why you would. Since you seem like you are purchasing new sticks, so you should get 2 sticks, the Dual DDR is worth it.

GosuWar

Registered
The nforce isn't THAT Great of a deal, DUAL DDR-II is real great, but that's all that's great about it. Think about the WARHAMMER =O

Tipycol

But that's from a perspective of getting one if you already have a VIA KT333 or KT400 board. There's basically no noticeable performance gain for doing that. What if you are upgrading from something older than that? If someone wants the best board out now for the XP, they should get the nForce 2.

mage_x

GosuWar said:
The nforce isn't THAT Great of a deal, DUAL DDR-II is real great, but that's all that's great about it. Think about the WARHAMMER =O

hmm what exactly is the warhammer and why are you comparing it to the nforce2

mage_x

GosuWar said:
*clawhammer, it owns the nforce2 :O

hmm clawhammer is a processor which would go INTO the nforce2 assuming it was socket a (it is not) so i dont see how it owns the nforce2

hassmh

Registered
Well, I believe nVidia is working on a Hammer chipset, so I'm sure you are right that it will be much better than the nForce2, since it will be about a year newer, and nVidia will have that much more experience in the chipset business.

I don't see how that's much different than comparing say the KT133 chipset with the KT333 chipset, but I guess I might have missed the point.

TheFrag

I wonder how much the Clawhammer will cost......... I think I will just stick with 60 dollar xp1600s!

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
GosuWar said:
The motherboard that's going to support the clawhammer will literally turn nforce2 into a kid's play toy. gg

Linky? Back it up, please.

I've heard curious things about the nForce2. For one, I've heard it'll only support up to a 200 FSB. I've also heard that it will not support multiplier adjustments. This alone should be enough to make you guys wait for either a better revision of the chipset; one that includes multiplier adjustments, or wait to see what KT400a can do.

Tipycol

Don't have a link, but remember hearing that they were planning to make a nForce 3, for the Hammer procs.

As for the nForce 2, the Leadtek and Chaintek boards don't have multi adjustments, the Asus does. Think the Asus only goes up to 200, but with a bios update it can go higher. The Abit board can go up to 237fsb, but don't know anything else about it. The Epox is supposed to have the multies and high fsb, but people are wondering now if it'll have the pci locks. Ah...no ones offering a complete package as of now :(

attack

Tipycol said:
Don't have a link, but remember hearing that they were planning to make a nForce 3, for the Hammer procs.

As for the nForce 2, the Leadtek and Chaintek boards don't have multi adjustments, the Asus does. Think the Asus only goes up to 200, but with a bios update it can go higher. The Abit board can go up to 237fsb, but don't know anything else about it. The Epox is supposed to have the multies and high fsb, but people are wondering now if it'll have the pci locks. Ah...no ones offering a complete package as of now :(

That's what i've come to gather as well, It frankly ****es me off big time. Who cares about high FSB speeds when my HD gets corrupted everytime it turns on, and who can get 200+ FSB with anything higher then a XP1600 (and even then extreme Vcore and cooling)...One of these companies better get thier friggin act together.

h0mersimps0n

Tipycol said:
As for the nForce 2, the Leadtek and Chaintek boards don't have multi adjustments, the Asus does. Think the Asus only goes up to 200, but with a bios update it can go higher. The Abit board can go up to 237fsb, but don't know anything else about it. [/B]

like I said... ABIT!

Tipycol

I dunno, I'd still like the fsb to go higher but I'll take it for now. I just wonder whether or not they'll have the PCI locks.

h0mersimps0n

crap, even if the companies SAID they had PCI locks there's still no conventional way for any of us to know. Anyone with a SCOPE want to buy a board and post the results here?

I doubt there won't be at least some kind of PCI control. Nvidia's not stupid, just slow...