• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nForce2 boards and temperature accuracy - anyone have any info?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sniper.nkc

My Nf2 board reads accurately after I upgraded the stock hs and fan. I saw a 4-5 C temp differential with diode and socket. Now things are pretty matched. See my sig.

crull

Graystar said:
Anyone know about temperature readings on nForce2 boards? Are they accurate? Off? Any info would be appreciated.

I guess it really depends on which Nforce2 board it is. Some I believe can read the cpu diode for accurate temp. Some have a thermistor under the cpu which is not really accurate, but it gives you a good idea about the temp.

The Abit NF7-S has the thermistor in the socket which Abit kept adjusting in the bios because it was way off in it's readings. Now it seems to be about right, but the thermistor temp can be around 10-15C lower then the actual cpu temp. So reading the cpu diode is always better.

SunRedRX7

My Diode tends to read about 5-6C lower then the Socket temps using Bios Rev 1007 for my A7N8X.

Case temps though are pretty close to the temps I measure coming out of an exhaust fan with a compunurse.

Korndog

err.. my epox 8rda+ shows 37c for my cpu, which sounds about right, but my diode temp reads out to be 127c.. wtf?
i'm sure nf2 along with may other motherboards are not accurate with temps, but i wouldn't expect more then a +-3c error

Hookj5

I would like to hear the answer to iLLestOne's question and ask what other proggie besids MBM5 reads temps accuratley?

Korndog

Hookj5 said:
I would like to hear the answer to iLLestOne's question and ask what other proggie besids MBM5 reads temps accuratley?
um.. almost all temp proggies will give out the same temp, they do, afterall, just get it from the winbond port.

as for lestone's question, I don't know, maybe my motherboard does have diode readout, but i believe you can get it by selecting another sensor inside MBM5 and chose another source, "Winbond 1 Diode" for example. you should have "winbond 1" or 2 selected for your cpu.
my motherboard might not read it because its not supported, i think the asus does.

Hoot

Inactive Moderator
Korndog said:
err.. my epox 8rda+ shows 37c for my cpu, which sounds about right, but my diode temp reads out to be 127c.. wtf?
i'm sure nf2 along with may other motherboards are not accurate with temps, but i wouldn't expect more then a +-3c error

That's the reading you get with nothing attached to the selected port on the motherboard you are reading. It is the max resolution of the chip returning that value, 7Fh = 127. If, indeed that motherboard supports reading the CPU internal thermal diode, then you need to set your program MBM or whatever to look at a different port on the Winbond or whatever brand chip.

Hoot

mattmolson

i think my mbm5 diode temps are wacked although they look alright at the moment.diode35,socket39,case24.last night i left the room for 2min. and on return socket was38 and diode 113!!!!my cpu would be fried at that temp.they are idle temps btw.my fan temps are double what they could physically be all the time.