• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NH-D14 and 4790k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueNostromo

I recently picked up an NH-D14 from a thrift store. Thing was new in box for $9. Anyway I installed it on a board with a 4790k and noticed spiking temps. So I reinstalled it, making sure NOT to use the rubber backplate this time, tightened all the screws until they stopped as noted in the instructions, but temps still spike! Spiking up to 97°C Sitting at a decent gaming load, the CPU sits around 80-85°C.

CPU @ 4.6Ghz and 1.3V

Solution
Yeah I had that X bracket on upside down. Installed it correctly, but temps are still sub par. 1.3V and 4.7Ghz. Peaked 97° in Apex legends.
Definitely sounds like a possibility, looking forward to your update!

Update is kind of weird. I fixed the mounting and made sure it is installed as instructed with more than enough thermal paste. Thermal throttling and jumpy temperatures continued.

I originally was running a static 1.3V. I changed this to adaptive voltage, set the ONLY intake fan to run full speed, and set a more aggressive fan curve for the NH-D14 fans. After this, temps are more in the expected range. Never topped 88°C in a few minutes of AIDA64 and maxed out at 81°C after running FireStrike and Time Spy.

Maybe...
Yeah I had that X bracket on upside down. Installed it correctly, but temps are still sub par. 1.3V and 4.7Ghz. Peaked 97° in Apex legends.
Definitely sounds like a possibility, looking forward to your update!

Update is kind of weird. I fixed the mounting and made sure it is installed as instructed with more than enough thermal paste. Thermal throttling and jumpy temperatures continued.

I originally was running a static 1.3V. I changed this to adaptive voltage, set the ONLY intake fan to run full speed, and set a more aggressive fan curve for the NH-D14 fans. After this, temps are more in the expected range. Never topped 88°C in a few minutes of AIDA64 and maxed out at 81°C after running FireStrike and Time Spy.

Maybe stagnant air and a constant high-ish voltage dont mix

Last edited:
Solution
There is only a 25% chance I did this step right because I DIDNT READ :LOL:. Installing a new PSU in that computer so I'll check then... Sketchy setup to say the least

1644883688963.png

Last edited:
Can you post some pics of the cooler? I've owned the D14 a time or two, want to make sure everything looks to be intact (no open heatpipes, etc).

$9 is a steal!! That's an awesome cooler, especially at the price of a cheap lunch!

You sure you got the right mounting bracket ? Noctua coolers usually come with at least 2-3 and a plethora of different screws for the various Intel/AMD models.

You sure you got the right mounting bracket ? Noctua coolers usually come with at least 2-3 and a plethora of different screws for the various Intel/AMD models.
1645233852297.png
Yes. This cooler was made before LGA 1150 socket, but the dimensions are identical. I followed LGA 1156/1155 instructions of course

Did you check the contact pattern of the thermal paste when removing the cooler? Still sounds like the cooler base is not making good contact with the top of the CPU.

Last edited:
I didn't make special note of it, but the thermal paste appeared fully spread. I did however err on the side of too much over too little

Back