• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nic works but no connection?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xvi3tsoljahx

i use a dlink wireless connection. It can't be the NIC because it lights up and shows up on the computer. It shows that theres connection, but won't go on the internet they settings are right obtain ip blah blah blah. I checked the line by plugging in my laptop and it works fine. Anyone know whats wrong with it? I tried 2 nic cards one built in and one netgear one.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
you can always try to set it up with an ip address manually...

how are you getting the internet connection? a router? a computer running ics into a switch?

mbentley

since you are running a router, i would assume that the router is assigned 192.168.0.1, so if you manually set up theh computer to access the internet (assuming you are using win2k or winxp) you can just set it up like this:
router_setup.png

OP
X

xvi3tsoljahx

nope doesn't work i tried typing in 192.168.0.1 in internet explorer, but nothing happens. The connection is working , but it won't go on to the internet.

mbentley

you aren't supposed to type that into internet explorer. the box i showed is the network setup box. that is under start > settings > control panel > network connections and then it's under the properties of your "LAN or High-Speed Internet" connection (right click, properties). then you go to the "internet protocol (tcp/ip)" then click properties and that's where you put all that info in.

OP
X

xvi3tsoljahx

I did tried the network setup wizard nothing seems to happen when i use it. I tried swapping nic samething all the time connection lights up but no internet. I tried the line on my laptop and it works fine.

Shep

Did this work at one time or are you just trying to get it set up?

If it has worked in the past and just recently stoped working try running SpyBot. I have had a few PC's come into the shop that had spyware that caused this, running spybot fixed them.