• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nintendo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drec

We've been hearing ALOT of crap about PS3 and xbox2...but what about good old Nintendo? do they not plan to launch a next gen console system and try to compete with MS & Sony?

twEEkerAreUs

Honestly I have no idea, I haven't heard anything about it yet. I know that Nintendo is going to release that handheld Gameboy DS I believe it's called. A waste of money if you ask me. The PSP handheld looks awesome, but such a hefty price tag. Gamecube 2 maybe for the console? :rolleyes:

Needitcooler

Rumor has it that their next console will be similar to the Phantom console where you download all your games, there are no dvd's or cartridges. I guess they are going to unveil the new console at E3 '05.

electromagnetic

Whatever they release they better throw in the next big Mario game, I strongly belive that's what killed the gamecube. Hell, I bought the N64 just for Mario 64, same goes for the original Nintendo.

Radical

I haven't heard anything about it, but I know that whatever their next console is will rule.

Vipasnipa

Drec said:
We've been hearing ALOT of crap about PS3 and xbox2...but what about good old Nintendo? do they not plan to launch a next gen console system and try to compete with MS & Sony?

Nintendo makes lots of $$$ with their consoles (even if they don't sell as well as PS or Xbox). They will continue to release consoles as long as it is profitable. And no, we're not going to see Phantom-Cube crap.

fl0w

Maybe they are working on one of those no-need-to-install-games, PC console thing we were hearing about before.

OP
Drec

Drec

im thinking their working on something BIG,...with all the attention on ps3 and xbox2 i wouldent be suprised if they whip out some kick @$$ consol that blows them all away :D

electromagnetic

Vipasnipa said:
Nintendo makes lots of $$$ with their consoles (even if they don't sell as well as PS or Xbox). They will continue to release consoles as long as it is profitable. And no, we're not going to see Phantom-Cube crap.

I believe Microsoft loses money on the XBOX, I think I read that somewhere. I'm sure they make up for it in game software licensing though.

KfistoRok

Drec said:
im thinking their working on something BIG,...with all the attention on ps3 and xbox2 i wouldent be suprised if they whip out some kick @$$ consol that blows them all away :D

Even if they did they produce 97% kiddie games. :eek:

/me runs from all the Nintendo fans.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
KfistoRok said:
Even if they did they produce 97% kiddie games. :eek:

/me runs from all the Nintendo fans.

:rolleyes:

Nintendo, while not the biggest producer they used to be (they used to own over 60% of the console market) still produce phenominal games. Their first party stuff is second-to-none, and their third party stuff, while not as large as say, the Xbox or PS2's third party linup, is still pretty good. They're also good at bringing back golden oldies on the GBA:SP. Even if they are rebagging my childhood and selling it back to me.

I would like to see them get Square back online for real Final Fantasy game (and no, I don't consider FF:CC a real FF game). It'd be nice to see FFXII on GC. We'll have to see. Also, the new Zelda game they've got in the works, along with Windwaker II, will be great! I loved Windwaker.

There are a few more games in their 3rd party lineup that I'm really looking forward too. Namely, Resident Evil 4 (In the collector's edition box) and Eternal Darkness. ED looks PHENOMINAL! The magic system is so intuitive, that even the people who made it, when they saw it in use, were going 'It can DO that!? I didn't know we made it so it could do THAT!'. Very cool.

KfistoRok

madcow235 said:
We all know games need blood and guts hitting the screen from every direction to be a good game :rolleyes:

I didn't say that thank you.

I was poking light fun. Relax. ;)

I was an avid Nintendo fan until the 64 died, along with a good company basically. The quality over quantity drive didn't pay off and with the birth of the Gamecube my tastes changed for games more lifelike. Now today Nintendo's bread and butter are their old games ported over to gba.

GC has a few quality games that appeal to adults, such as Metroid, Resident Evil, and the new Zelda game, but other than than the big N doesn't have much else besides kiddie games.

OP
Drec

Drec

KfistoRok said:
GC has a few quality games that appeal to adults, such as Metroid, Resident Evil, and the new Zelda game, but other than than the big N doesn't have much else besides kiddie games.

yeah i agree, but when i want adult games..well thats where my PC comes in...pretty much anything you can get for the xbox is availible on PC..so i dont see the point of owning an xbox...
:-/

i bought my GC the first week it came out..because the trailers for Rouge Leader looked to damn good...and that was a great game. then i realized nintendo was super kiddyish especially when nintendo had the chance to get GTA3 on GC and passed it up :cry:

Jeff Bolton

oh nintendo how i love thee, let me count the ways....

mario kart DD
super smash brothers
metroid prime
metroid prime 2 looks badass
f-zero
windwaker
new zelda
tales of symphonia
eternal darkness
soul calibur (link)
robotech:battlecry

the only thing that i wish the gamecube had more of were real rpgs, but tales of symphonia promises to be a good one (just came out). plus the GC controller seems so much better than the other systems, that why i can only stand to play robotech:battlecry on GC. the controls are just so much better than on xbox or ps2.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
Jeff, will you have my manbaby (not gay)?

Jeff just pretty much listed the reason I got my GC: fun games. Nintendo, while some people call their games 'childish' or 'kiddie' make the most fun games I've ever had the pleasure of playing. Nothing beats 4 or 8 player MK: DD, or smashing somebody's face in w/ Link in Soul Calibur II (sorry, but launch to Fairie Bow juggle to tornado spin > * ), or conjuring wind spirits in Windwaker, to exploring the Aqua Ring in the REmake. It's like revisiting my childhood :)

Even though it looks absurd, I absolutely LOVE the GC controller! It fits my hand perfectly, and my thumb is never more than a quick roll away from any button I need to press. It has no equal, imo. The only thing close would have to be the Playstation controller. It's like Nintendo said: 'lets take the best things about the N64 controller, and the best things about the Playstation controller, and throw them into a blender and see what we get!' And it was good :)

I use a Wavebird, and I've only had to replace the batteries once. It's excellent on batteries, and VERY responsive, no matter if I'm killing zombies or racing for the Special Cup.

OP
Drec

Drec

i hate the gc controller :-\ guess my hands are to big...even for the ps2 controller..the xbox one i like.

Jeff Bolton

Oni said:
Jeff, will you have my manbaby (not gay)?

hahaha :D

you said it oni, its all about fun. as long as a game is fun, immersive, and challenging, then who cares if it is aimed at kids or adults.

i'm going to go out on a limb here and make an analogy:

harry potter books are supposedly for kids, but many adults, including myself, love the hell out of those books. when you're reading a book, and it draws you in in such a way that you absolutely CANNOT put the book down, you know its good. i see the gamecube in a similar way. it might have the appearance and reputation of being a 'kid' system, but when you get down to it it really isn't. and just like i had to get over myself not admitting that i liked harry potter when i first saw the movies (before i read the books) many people probably have a hard time admitting that they've enjoyed playing games like animal crossing or mario kart. gamecube is an amazing system, but i guess you just have to be in the right mindset to like it.

OP
Drec

Drec

you threadjackers, this is about future nintendo consoles not GC.