• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No 920 Overclock in Ubuntu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dapman02

Here's a strange one for you
In my bios I have my i7 920 overclocked to 4.0Ghz (according to cpuz and my 3dmark06 scroe of 21500) but for some reason when I check with the command cat /proc/cpuinfo my maximum clock is 2.79ghz? :confused:
Speedstep is running, but I don't have it enabled in the bios
This is just strange.

Screenshot-patrickpatrick-desktop.png
CPUZ.png

Last edited:

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
Here's a strange one for you
In my bios I have my i7 920 overclocked to 4.0Ghz (according to cpuz and my 3dmark06 scroe of 21500) but for some reason when I check with the command cat /proc/cpuinfo my maximum clock is 2.79ghz? :confused:
Speedstep is running, but I don't have it enabled in the bios
This is just strange.

bogomips can inaccurately report cpu clocks when non-stock multiplier's are chosen.

-not sure what you mean by "Speedstep is running, but I don't have it enabled in the bios"....???

OP
Dapman02

Dapman02

bogomips can inaccurately report cpu clocks when non-stock multiplier's are chosen.

-not sure what you mean by "Speedstep is running, but I don't have it enabled in the bios"....???

basically, I didn't have speedstep enabled in the bios, but my clocks were going down to 1.6 Ghz and up to 2.7 GHz maximum

Is there an accurate way to find out my clock speeds

Bobnova

Run superPI, there'll be a big time difference between 4ghz and 2.7ghz, even taking into account that linux is faster.

cyberfish

Linux seem to report 400 FSB max (for my E6300 at stock 7x that's 2.8ghz).

The speed is higher, though. I can see the effect of overclocking from 3.0ghz to 3.5ghz (running my own CPU intensive program).

MRD

We had a thread on this a while ago. I forgot the details, but the end result was basically that /proc/cpuinfo does not accurately report oc'd speeds. The cpu was running oc'd but not showing it there. I think it was Shelnutt who had the issue but I can't remember.

My guess is that you are oc'd but that the info you are seeing is being read from the chip directly, not the bios... if your benchmarks show you are oc'd, I'd ignore it.