• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No Boot: Dead Hard Drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gulp35

I got a problem: my computer won't start into windows. * wait a minute is that a problem? :D*

First the specs... It is the dualie computer in my sig but with 2 GB of RAM and a 300GB Western Digital HDD.

The computer successfully POSTs then says that it is starting up the SATA drivers... then the hard drive spins up, then clicks a few times (louder than usual drive access, usually 3 clicks) then the drive spins down and starts trying to access the floppy drive (leaving me with a flashing prompt on screen that I am unable to enter anything in)

I found http://www.head-crash.org/hddcrsh_us.htm and the sound file that sounds most like my problem is the Slow Spindle motor ( except that my drive spins up much faster * eliminating slow spindle speed as a problem :i think:* and then spins down after the last audible click)

Please Help....

-g35
UPDATE: sometimes the HDD clicks before the computer posts *usually 4-6 times* . Windows recovery console doesn't work either *was going to try FIXMBR*.

Last edited:
OK I ran the Diagnostics from the WD Website and got the following result:
Code:
07/30/2005, 00:41:25
SELECTED OPTION - "OTHER OPTION"
SELECTED DRIVE -
          Model : WDC ROM MODEL-BUCCANER-
            S/N : WDC-ROM SN# XYZ----
       Firmware : 08.05J08
          C H S : 37833 16 63
       Capacity : 19.5G
          Drive : 0  Port: 0xBC00
RESULTS - "COMMAND ERROR"
ERROR/STATUS CODE = 0132

The Biggest problem I see is that it reports the drive as 19.5 GB when it is a 300GB drive (a bit more difference than what can be accounted for by the usual manufacturer PR grandeur)

Haven't looked up what error code 0132 is yet

Hmmmf... That error code means "test with the proper diag. tool" the only problem is that I did... it is a 3000JD drive.... I couldn't find a diagnostic tool that listed that exact drive so I DL'd the one that had all the other JD drives on it... I guess that one isn't it.

EDIT: I DL'd Data lifeguard tools ver. 504c

What should I do now? :eh?:

Hello, have you solved the problem. What you where doing? I have the same problem and i didn't found any information.

Hello, have you solved the problem. What you where doing? I have the same problem and i didn't found any information.
I'm guessing you're going to sPam the site and not legit.. but if so, this is SEVETEEN YEARS OLD?!! If you're really having a problem and expect an answer, start your own thread and we'll be happy to help.

ROFL, I'm pretty sure regardless of whether a new drive fixed the problem the OP has chucked that boat anchor overboard by now.

I started reading without looking at dates and was puzzled how someone who's enough of an enthusiast to find this page was still using a spinner as a boot drive.

ROFL, I'm pretty sure regardless of whether a new drive fixed the problem the OP has chucked that boat anchor overboard by now.

I started reading without looking at dates and was puzzled how someone who's enough of an enthusiast to find this page was still using a spinner as a boot drive.
I don't use HDD as bootable. Just because of its volume, I tried to restore it in every possible way. I could not solve the problem myself and gave it to the warranty service.

Welcome back, I was just referring to the 17 year old post that you had responded to. I am a little unclear on how you could have the same problem of being unable to boot to a platter HDD when you're not using the drive as bootable. As was suggested by EarthDog above, please make a new post if the problem remains unresolved. You can use this post as a reference to guide you in what to post: https://www.overclockers.com/forums/threads/how-to-post-like-a-boss.791057/. It is especially important to include the specifications of your rig (all hardware).

While it is good courtesy on most forums to search for a previous post on the topic rather than starting a new post, PC tech changes so much that within 2 years an old post is likely no longer relevant. Each individual system has unique combinations of hardware, software and application that make it difficult to respond to a post that states, "I'm having the same problem" without providing specific details to your situation.

Ok I understood. Let the problem at the moment is gone, I thank you for the answer. The fact that you misunderstood me is most likely due to the translation, since English is not my native language. Thanks again and sorry for disturbing.

Back